The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to build a dedicated bench for reloading and working on other projects that required a clean work space. My first challenge was finding suitable space in my work area of the basement. I found just the spot in between my workbench and the laundry room.

I cleared out the area and started patching the wall. The brick joints needed repointing before I could start painting.

Next came priming the wall. While I waited for the paint to dry and for my wife to pick out the color for the final coat I started building the bench. I used 2X4's to build the frame.

Final paint coat and sealing the bench frame.

I was lucky enough to get a few wall cabinets from work that were being trashed. I mounted the cabinets over the bench. Also install a double layer of plywood for the bench top.

I fastened the bench to the wall and installed trim around bench top to give it a cleaner look. Also added a small light over the bench.

I still need to apply a few more coats of sealer and mount the press.

It turned out so nice now my wife wants me to redo the laundry area.

·
Registered
671 Posts
could you send me the measurements and how many 2x4 you used . I would like to build one for my husband . I brought him a reloader last year now all i need is the bench for him thank you

·
Registered
671 Posts
could you send me the measurements and how many 2x4 you used . I would like to build one for my husband . I brought him a reloader last year now all i need is the bench for him thank you

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vicky, I think I used 7 2X4s and a sheet of plywood. The top measures 24" X 60" and has a height of 38". The height allows me to use it standing or sitting on tall stool. You can't tell from the pictures but I have the plywood over hanging the frame by a 1/4" in the front. I then put a 1/4" piece of plywood between the front 2X4 and the pine skirt. This put my reloaders mounting holes in the center of the front 2X4.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
only thing I would add is some provisions for floor anchors or an additional low lying shelf to put some bags of never to be used concrete bags on. the extra mass will be welcome when you get a stuck case or you really need to lean on something.
Nice job!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Good stuff, you should put some pictures up of it with the presses and everything attached. Thanks for sharing!

Ryan.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Re: Bench with press installed

Lunker gave me the bug so I built two of these. The first one I made from junk I had in the shop, the base is a woodstove pallet, top is a pices of Mahogany plywood left over from another project, skirts are white pine. The second one is made from new material, and I plan to skirt that one with some Pa black walnut I milled, as soon as I have time to trim and shape the boards.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

both are super nice. what did you guys use to fasten the pieces together - nails, screws, or whatever?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts

Trim screws. They are thinner than a drywall screw. They don't split out like deck screws. Home crappo has them , like $12 a box, very easy to work with, and if you goof up, just hit reverse and fix it without ruining a board.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts