The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Please tell me one thing Brandon has done that is actually good for anyone but his crackhead son. He has divided and destroyed this country in less than a year. Everything he said he was going to fix has gotten worse. We are all paying through the nose for everything we need and it is only going to get worse. All the reasonable people knew this was coming.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Last year I got fed up with not being able to find the factory ammo I wanted for my 30-06. I made up my mind to start reloading my own. I had never done it myself, but I helped out my uncle and cousin a few times over the years while they were reloading for themselves. I was lucky enough to find a new RCBS reloading kit right before Christmas. After searching around during the past year, I was able to find enough bullets, primers and powder to start working up a few loads for some of my rifles. I watched some very informative YouTube videos on working up loads by Erik Cortina and Bolt Action Reloading. They reload for long range precision shooting, but if their methods work for them they should surely work to get acceptable accuracy from a cheap deer rifle. On a whim I put in a low bid on a 6.5CM from Gunbroker a few weeks ago. I won the action. I just started working up a load for it last week. This morning I went to the range to shoot my final groups to confirm my seating depth. All in all, I'm very happy I decided to reload. It is a bit tedious at times, but the results cannot be denied. I got that cheap Sauer 100 6.5CM shooting half inch groups with no trouble at all. I have a few other guns to reload for to keep me busy through the winter. It's a very interesting and very fun hobby.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I started the same way. I had a 22-250 that I was unable to find the ammo that it liked anymore. I bought a kit and some components and started reading and watching YouTube. I was quickly making my own rounds and now do it for all of my rifles and some friends also. I have always bought in bulk, so I am in good shape for a few years. Hopefully things go back to normal in 3 or 4 of them.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
Tough to get many popular calibers right now, 30-06 seem to really be in short supply. That makes reloading almost a nessessity, or at least a conveinience.

Yes Slim, we understand that nothing is Mr Bidens fault, it's simply a coincidence that so much bad stuff has happened since he took office. Democrats are doing a marvelous job of running the country, and of course all the major cities like Portland, Minniapolis, and San Fransisco are utopias that are models of what the democrat plan has in store for the rest of the country. Just keep pulling that (D) lever Slim, and you'll get us there sooner than later buddy!👍🏻

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Really. When Trump was in office I was buying primers and powder @ $20-$25 per k or pound. If anyone did not prepare after the last shortage. It’s their own fault. And it’s not hoarding it’s being prepared.
then explain why there arent any reloading stuff and why ammo is priced out of this world. people started hoarding again and the supply went down as the demand went up. thats called hoarding. plus as soon as any supplies come available its bought up and we are back to square one again.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
then explain why there arent any reloading stuff and why ammo is priced out of this world. people started hoarding again and the supply went down as the demand went up. thats called hoarding. plus as soon as any supplies come available its bought up and we are back to square one again.
I believe you will find all of your answers on page 1 from multiple people, or do you only hear what YOU want to hear😉

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
What you're saying is folks "hoard" stuff when they know a (D) might get elected? Why would that be Slim?

Hard to imigine a gun owner/sportsman able to convince himself that pulling that (D) lever is the right choice, but we have proof right here on HPA. It really is a mental disorder.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I follow a few online hunting groups. I'm amazed that a few days before the PA deer season starts people are desperately looking for ammo. It's not like the shortage was a surprise as its been going on since covid.

I reload because I enjoy it. I also do it so I don't have to worry about finding ammo when I want to shoot.

I reload for all my major calibers. Shooting as much as I do it's neccessary. I'd never be able to afford the cost of ammo now.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I follow a few online hunting groups. I'm amazed that a few days before the PA deer season starts people are desperately looking for ammo. It's not like the shortage was a surprise as its been going on since covid.

I reload because I enjoy it. I also do it so I don't have to worry about finding ammo when I want to shoot.

I reload for all my major calibers. Shooting as much as I do it's neccessary. I'd never be able to afford the cost of ammo now.
Well said! Reloading is an enjoyable hobby and it gets you out shooting more.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
What you're saying is folks "hoard" stuff when they know a (D) might get elected? Why would that be Slim?

Hard to imigine a gun owner/sportsman able to convince himself that pulling that (D) lever is the right choice, but we have proof right here on HPA. It really is a mental disorder.
ive been taking note for many years and its always the same. if a democrat is possibly going to get elected the gun taking begins. we have had quite a few democratic presidents over the years and never have i or any of you lost a gun yet. it is always the same, better buy what you can in case the demo's try to take it away. next thing that happens is everyone goes out and buys all the ammo and reloading stuff they can get their hands on. now there is a shortage of all we need to reload. remember the rule about supply and demand. the only ones that make out are the manufactures when they raise the price of everything. supply low demand high. price even higher. i have thought about this for a long time, have you.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
ive been taking note for many years and its always the same. if a democrat is possibly going to get elected the gun taking begins. we have had quite a few democratic presidents over the years and never have i or any of you lost a gun yet. it is always the same, better buy what you can in case the demo's try to take it away. next thing that happens is everyone goes out and buys all the ammo and reloading stuff they can get their hands on. now there is a shortage of all we need to reload. remember the rule about supply and demand. the only ones that make out are the manufactures when they raise the price of everything. supply low demand high. price even higher. i have thought about this for a long time, have you.
If you had been”taking notes for many years” and have “thought about this for a long time” then you wouldn’t be on here whining about shortages and prices. Snooze you lose! And if you haven’t figured it out by now, then you shouldn’t waste any more time trying to do so, because you just aren’t getting it and never will😉

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hoarding is relative, how much does a person have to stock up to cross your hypothetical threshold into hoarding vs simply being prepared? 1 years worth? 5 years worth?

Is buying 20 pounds of powder hoarding?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
the problem is that people will buy way more then they need and others that have run out cant find what they need. i only reload what i need to hunt with. i would have no use for an 8 pound can of powder. if you load that much good for you. for people like me i only need 1 pound cans of the powder i use which isnt many. let me also say that its a shame that a discussion cant be had without people having to make snide comments and name calling. im only stating my opinion and havent said anything rude to anyone on here.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
the problem is that people will buy way more then they need and others that have run out cant find what they need. i only reload what i need to hunt with. i would have no use for an 8 pound can of powder. if you load that much good for you. for people like me i only need 1 pound cans of the powder i use which isnt many. let me also say that its a shame that a discussion cant be had without people having to make snide comments and name calling. im only stating my opinion and havent said anything rude to anyone on here.
Who are you to decide how much I need? Why should I care that you can't look ahead and be prepared? Name calling like "hoarders"? "tRumpy"? Learn from your mistakes and move on, this isn't going to get any better for at least 4 more years if we are lucky at all ;)

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
If you had been”taking notes for many years” and have “thought about this for a long time” then you wouldn’t be on here whining about shortages and prices. Snooze you lose! And if you haven’t figured it out by now, then you shouldn’t waste any more time trying to do so, because you just aren’t getting it and never will😉
...EXACTLY....slim just can't get it in his head that the Dems want to take guns from ALL law abiding citizens..that is their goal along with making the USA, a communist/nazi country ....he probably doesn't have a single gun...shoot or hunt.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Well I just finish loading 314 round for hunting season spanning 4 people and 12 rifles, using 3 pounds of 4 different kinds of powder.

In the last two years I’ve loaded close to 5,000 rounds of various rifle/pistol calibers and have plans to load 2,500 rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor after the beginning of the year in preparation for a long range shooting class and to have stocks built up for the future.

At some point I will use all of my bullets, powder and primers but would rather have a bit of extra stock rather than having to turn down an opportunity because I didn’t have the components available.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts