The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya know, when I first started loading my own ammo I used a Lee Anniversary Kit it included everything except the dies, powder, bullets, brass and primers of course. That said I see where that Lee reloading kit is about $160. now and I know Lee Pacesetter dies are about $40.
So, what I'm getting at is if a fella saved his brass and looked around some you could probably find dies, bullets, powder and primers to get ya started for about $150 and then you'd have about $310 invested. Not a bad investment if you have some brass saved that you can reload.
1 box of 20 loaded cartridges is about $50 now + tax.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
When I first started reloading, 60 some years ago, you could save a fair amount of money rolling your own. In todays market I'm not sure that holds true, especially if you need to start from scratch with Equiptment. You should be able to work up a load that gives you better accuracy with your particular rifle, but then again maybe not. Not sure I would get into it again if for some reason I ended up loosing what I have.
If I didn't reload I would just go out and buy a box of different brand ammo, and bullet weight, then shoot 5 shot groups to see what shoots best. Once I determined that I would return to that store and buy up what forever ammo he had in that lot number.
You can always sell once fired brass to someone who reloads.

Reactions: Swamper1

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Reloading is still a heckuva deal IF you bought supplies during sales PRIOR to the type of issues we currently have. I have need for nothing reloading-wise, and should prob be selling some excess if I were smart right now. Another thing is that people dont realize that 30-40 years ago, the only "premium" bullet that was out there was maybe a partition? Now plain old soft point arent cool anymore, and cost at least twice as much a pc as plain old soft points. That drives the cost of a box up pretty quick. I have 1000's of medium caliber bullets I bought for 10 cents a pc on sales. Another thing, when you find a powder you like, buy 8# right away at $20/# on sale when the markets not crazy. Buy primers by the thousand EVERYTIME you walk in the local store, rather than just when you need them - theyre only the cost of a case and a half of beer/1000 pcs, and you will never be in need again if you get a few thousand pcs ahead. Dies - get when you get a new caliber, and get good ones, and youre good for life.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I'd reload no matter what. Started in 1970 and use all the same equipment today, nothing to wear out if cared for. In my adult life I've bought 4 boxes of ammo, about 1976 2 boxes of 7mag from the Marine base exchange because it was the only way of getting brass and in the early 80's 2 boxes of 7-08 because no one local had brass. I like having the luxury of building only what I want when I want it. Taken game all over the world with my reloads including several species of dangerous game. To me it is an investment. My son now has all his own equipment. Based on this can of 700X I guess I've been doing it awhile, $3.40.

Yellow Font Gas Rectangle Wood

·
Registered
192 Posts
Between the wife and I we shoot a couple hundred rounds a month from July until now. If I didn't reload there is no way we could afford to shoot that much. She used to make fun of me when I would scrounge through the trash at the range and get 40-50 pieces of brass that we could re-use until I told her they are saving us almost a buck per piece.....now she helps 😀

I agree with the comments above about when you have a powder you like buy 8# at a time and buy primers by the 1000's.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
When I first started reloading, 60 some years ago, you could save a fair amount of money rolling your own. In todays market I'm not sure that holds true, especially if you need to start from scratch with Equiptment. You should be able to work up a load that gives you better accuracy with your particular rifle, but then again maybe not. Not sure I would get into it again if for some reason I ended up loosing what I have.
If I didn't reload I would just go out and buy a box of different brand ammo, and bullet weight, then shoot 5 shot groups to see what shoots best. Once I determined that I would return to that store and buy up what forever ammo he had in that lot number.
You can always sell once fired brass to someone who reloads.
Good points. ROI depends on how much and what calibers you like to shoot. If you're a semiauto 9mm/223.5.56/7.62x39 type ROI per round is not as great as if talking magnum rifle or handgun rounds. There's many articles online that delves into the economics of reloading your own. You need a passion for details and methods as it can be tedious work when pumping out hundreds of rounds. There's a learning curve to reloading especially metallic cartridges so having a good mentor is helpful. Many online video's available as well and all the manuals & books. I'm always learning something new. I aquired most of my equipment & supplies second hand from people & estates. Sometimes buying way more than I needed. I resold the uneeded stuff and paid for my initial purchases. There's not as much available now as there was before Bidet though. And most people now want new price for old stock. So the markup is huge. You also have to factor in your considerable time investment unless your reloading as a hobby and not taking time from wage earning opportunities.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have reloaded since the mid 1970's. Don't know if I saved any money over factory loads, as I end up shooting a lot more. With today's high cost and limited availability of component bullets, you can save a lot of money by casting your own. I have for years, especially handguns and big bore rifles. Powder coating (easy) cast bullets will eliminate most issues with smoke and leading barrels. Lots of lead around if you know where to look - old wheelweights, lead plumbing, divers weights, ect.

Larry

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
yep...anyone that has a supply of components before this disasster of a administration took over...is ahead...well ahead in cost savings NOW
cant blame this on Biden. it started way before Biden got elected. the hoarding starts everytime a democrat runs and the hoarders start buying up everything. it was like this when tRumpy was in office.

·
Registered
558 Posts
cant blame this on Biden. it started way before Biden got elected. the hoarding starts everytime a democrat runs and the hoarders start buying up everything. it was like this when tRumpy was in office.
Really. When Trump was in office I was buying primers and powder @ $20-$25 per k or pound. If anyone did not prepare after the last shortage. It’s their own fault. And it’s not hoarding it’s being prepared.

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
…sure can blame it on him… he’s anti gun..anti freedom.. just like Obama was…most people were/are smart enough then and now to hoard it… those that are scrambling missed the writing on the wall.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
maybe after China released the engineered covid virus (paid for by Fauci's NIH) upon the world's unsuspecting population and BLM/ANTIFA types were looting & destroying many cities. Bidet was icing to push everyone into full prep mode.

Before covid ammo was selling dirt cheap. Shelves were full or overflowing and there were clearance sales & manufacturer's rebates galore. I was buying a lot of factory ammo for less than what I could reload.

·
Registered
714 Posts
This is 100% the Democrat's fault. They hate guns. They hate America. Its time for America to wake up and vote them out. The problem is that they are prolific cheaters. I'm glad I started loading during the last shortage (Obama) and bought lots of powder and other components. The only thing I wish I had more of was primers at this point. I have enough powder to wear out my barrels.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
you people only hear what you want to hear. as i said, this all started when people started when the thought of Biden getting into office. when they went out and bought everything up you caused the problem. you made the supply go down and then the demand came up. the manufacturing companies cant keep up and so the price has gone through the roof. you only have yourselves to blame.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
you people only hear what you want to hear. as i said, this all started when people started when the thought of Biden getting into office. when they went out and bought everything up you caused the problem. you made the supply go down and then the demand came up. the manufacturing companies cant keep up and so the price has gone through the roof. you only have yourselves to blame.
This all started when your buddy BHO got into office, continued when your other buddy Clinton was running, and when “I have a plan” Joe ran and “won”. I would like to be paying 2 bucks for gas too, but those days are gone with Biden’s “plan”. If you don’t like the price of ammo don’t buy it! But to beat someone up for selling it at current market value is just a typical hands out Democrat entitlement mentality !

1 - 20 of 40 Posts