The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son would like to get an autoloader shotgun for waterfowl. I have a Browning Silver and love it, but buying a new Browning right now is out of the question and finding a used one is tough.

So, I was looking at the Remington 1187 and Remington 1187 Super Mag. There seesm to be tons out there, but not sure that is a good sign???

How do they perform?

Are they reliable?

How are they in cold weather?

Please let me know and what you think, Pro's or Con's.

·
Registered
432 Posts
im not a waterfowler. but for my turkey gun, i told myself go big or go home. i know it doesnt help much. but maybe have the super mag would work out because of the larger shells.

my remmy is a 870 Super Mag camo everything expect for the adjustable 6 positon stock i put on it.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
As long as it has a good gas seal it will go bang every time. I would suggest going to handle one before you make any commitment. A friend of mine has a regular 1187 wingmaster, and I don't like it at all. He loves it. From what I've seen I'm one of the few that don't.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I got an 1187 SP in '93. 3" chamber and 21" barrel. I've shot every thing form 2 3/4" target loads to 3" mag. turkey loads and used it for small game and turkeys (I don't hunt waterfowl). I had one shell stovepipe on me, a 3" mag. as I was checking some patterns. Took the gun in to camp and cleaned it and no more problems. My fault not the guns.

If I had to replace, I would get another one.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
how old is your son??? Get him a Mossburg autoloader to start hunting with. The Remington autoloaders are very nice but expensive.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
been using a rem 1187 SP for about 15 years. jammed once on me. i dont blame the gun, i never cleaned it once and its been through some rough times in the woods.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I've got an 1187 and it only gave me problems once... That was when I dropped it to the bottom of the swamp. Other then that I replace the o-ring every few years and it keeps going bang. I've shot it without fail on days that my friends with SBE's start having jamming problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts