The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the Scott archery freedom xt release because I loved the thought of it folding back. I was replacing my Scott release with the nylon for one with a solid frame I guess you'd call it. Well come to find out it doesn't stay folded back it just flops around. Anyone have a release they would recommend that folds back and locks in place. Main reason I bought this was so it didn't smash into the ladder or flop around and hit the bow climbing or walking in.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I would go with a T-handle style thumb release. Just click it on your D-loop and your ready, nothing strapped to your wrist. Just a lot easier using bino's or rangefinder's when your release is on the bow and not your wrist. You may even shoot better also.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Pa.Bone said:
I would go with a T-handle style thumb release. Just click it on your D-loop and your ready, nothing strapped to your wrist. Just a lot easier using bino's or rangefinder's when your release is on the bow and not your wrist. You may even shoot better also.
yep, bow life has been easier since the switch.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I would be scared to death of bumping the trigger of a release dangling from my bow string........and watching it fall to the ground.
I've had the same Carter release strapped to my wrist for over 20 years and I hope I never have to look for another one.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I use a Scott Wolverine, but like the Legend it doesn't stay folded back. It has never bothered me though. I just can't get used to thumb releases. I have tried. They just aren't for me.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Gunjack said:
Tru fire hard core. I tried this specifically because of that reason. I love mine.
I've been shooting a TruFire Hardcore Max for a number of years and I really like it. It does fold back and stay back, the trigger has quite the adjustment for crispness and travel and the hook easily attaches to the string loop.

I purchased a Scott Exxus Core release to jump into the world of thumb releases, and I've been shooting it for several months in a effort to get used to it. I understand the concept behind it and I just can't seem to be comfortable using it. My largest concern with it is the loud click it makes when the shot is released. Loud enough for a deer to undoubtedly jump your shot.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Mark Ramela said:
Gunjack said:
Tru fire hard core. I tried this specifically because of that reason. I love mine.
I've been shooting a TruFire Hardcore Max for a number of years and I really like it. It does fold back and stay back, the trigger has quite the adjustment for crispness and travel and the hook easily attaches to the string loop.

I purchased a Scott Exxus Core release to jump into the world of thumb releases, and I've been shooting it for several months in a effort to get used to it. I understand the concept behind it and I just can't seem to be comfortable using it. My largest concern with it is the loud click it makes when the shot is released. Loud enough for a deer to undoubtedly jump your shot.
I just purchased a Scott Exxus in February after using a wrist release for the past 20 some years. Reason, i was getting symptons of target panic and was punching. Also, after giving two does hair cuts last season and becoming absolutely disgusted with my self, i needed to change or find my problem. I know the answer was not going to lie in just getting a new release, i was taking a chance on spending the money. What i had to do was relearn to shoot with it. It help identified my issues i was doing and made me really concentrate on form and pin placement. Now i have not gone back to my wrist to apply my new form and technique and i know that the release was not fix all of my problems. But it was the start of me getting better, or at least it made me erase everything and state new.

Good things, i found out that with the wrist i was letting up right before the shot. With having a more solid anchor point with the thumb i have learned to maintain a continuous pull. I know whenever i do not maintain back tension with it. Groups are tighter, in fact too tight were i will not shoot at the same point until 35 yards or further. With the finger tension set to the minimum, the release is surprising me more and increase my accuracy because i have become more focused on pin placement and not the release.

I like, just attaching to string and leaving it there.

Bad, clothing is going to be an issue for me, especially in the cold months. I love my neck gator and because of my new form, my thumb rests on my neck. Any collar shirts or gators is throwing me off a little. I'm working on this issue now.

What i found. With my previous form and release. My bow was 1.5" high at 20 yards or less. Dead on at 28, and 1.5-2 low at 35. Now when i got the release i did nothing to my bow. I just concentrated on form and the shot. I did not care where the arrow was going. But what amazed me was that once i got it down, my bow is hitting dead on from 0-30 and just a hair low at 35. I believe it was holding my bow shoulder too high.

I'm at the point of tuning since i believe my form and shot are good enough to be confident in tuning. So we shall in the next week or two of how things will turn. out.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I have a TruFire Hardcore in the foldback design which I hunt with, and I also own a Hardcore 4 finger revolution. You cannot go wrong with either release IMHO. What I like about the foldback design is that you can put it on, fold it back, and leave it there until you need to shoot. It's never in the way, even while walking to the stand, climbing in, etc.
The 4 finger model has a clip which allows the release to be clipped on the string and it will stay there if you choose that option while hunting. I personally don't use it that way because I'm afraid I'll bump it or something causing it to plummet to the ground while in a stand. I was mainly using the 4 finger for target season but have recently switched to a hinge (Sweet Spot II) for that.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome input everyone. The store let me return the freedom xt so not stuck with 120$ release. Although the trigger was amazing on it I hated how if just flopped all over the place. I ended up getting trufire hardcore so far I'm loving it. Although reading everyone's input I might try a thumb release. And see which one I shoot better with. I really want to get into shooting 3D this year. Again thank you for all the input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts