The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What release aids do you guys use? I have a Scott Mongoose index finger release. I've never tried or used any other but am curious with all the options out there what other release I might benefit from. Main purposes are hunting and target. Any suggestions? Will a pro-shop let you try a new release before you buy? Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't know where you are from but we have two big time archery shops where I live and they will let you try out equipment before you buy, any pro shop should do that.

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
For several years after i switched from fingers i used a winn free flight. It has a glove type thing that straps around your hand allowing you to pull with your whole hand. While i liked that the actual release was kinda crude and i didn't really like that. I took a scott rhino xt and attached it to the winn glove thing and now have a hybrid release that i like very much.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
A Carter Insatible 2 4 Finger release and a Nock To It 2 Finger (Its a Carter). Once you master a high quality thumb release, you won't go back!

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I use a Spot Hogg Wise Guy, but I've been trying out a 3-finger TruFire (don't recall the model) I got used for cheap a bit ago.

I can see the merit to a 3-finger, although I'm not making the change now at this point.

The pro shop I go to has gizmo with a wire you hook up to and pull back like a bow, but when you release, it is a slow rewind so things don't "snap" when you let go. They laid out every release I wanted to try and let me do that till I was content on my choice. I'm sure I could have taken them outside and shot my bow with them, too, had I wished.

Biggest thing is to focus on form and proper release use. An index finger release isn't as simple as "pull the trigger".

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
For several years after i switched from fingers i used a winn free flight. It has a glove type thing that straps around your hand allowing you to pull with your whole hand. While i liked that the actual release was kinda crude and i didn't really like that. I took a scott rhino xt and attached it to the winn glove thing and now have a hybrid release that i like very much.

The first release I had was a free flight. They were pretty popular in my area back in the day(80's). I used that release for over 10 years, and when it was time to retire it, I bought a NAP index finger release. It took me a while to get used to, but once I did I really liked it. You are correct in saying the Winn releases were kinda' crude.

At one point early on in the time using the NAP I injured my index finger and switched to using my middle finger. It took quite some time for this injury to heal, and by the time it did I had gotten so comfortable using my middle finger to trigger, I continue that style to this day. Ive been using that release for nearly 20 years now.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I also shoot a glove style release that was made by tru ball. I feel like i have a lot more leverage pulling back with my hand. I bought it in 2005, and other than the free flight, I have not seen any other glove style releases. Its a little worn but its still going strong after 13 years.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a Carter 'Like Mike.' I've used the Spot Hogg Wise Guy also. Both are fantastic releases, but are basically two ends of the spectrum as far as trigger sensitivity. I like a heavy trigger that I can put some pressure on as I pull thru the shot.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I shoot a Stan Black Jack hinge release, and a Stan SX2 thumb button.

I have started shooting substantially better after switching to the hinge. I hunt with it now

Reactions: RayRay

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I like a thumb release for hunting mainly because I can clip it to my D-loop and my hands are free from a release strapped to them. Lots of good ones out there and I have been using a Scott Exxus for the last three or four years.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Dang man, could you post a photo of that beauty?

Winn's glove-bar thing is where it's at. It cured me of horrendous target panic almost instantly, but I get what you're saying with the questionable trigger. Never thought to let it breed another release.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
A friend of mine had the Winn model that would trigger by relaxing your finger instead of applying pressure. I thought this seemed like a good idea, until I used his for a few rounds. By this time I had already been shooting my pressure style Winn for several years, and relaxing the trigger proved too big of an adjustment for me to. It would have required too much time for me to get used to. Just didn't feel right.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I use the same one you have the Scott Mongoose,been so long i don t remember when i got it finally had problems with it and sent it back and they fixed it no ? asked. Great customer service and you have a lifetime warranty with Scott releases. They no longer make the Mongoose and wanted to send me a new model but the tech fixed mine and i told him id rather have my old release so thats what im using.

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
Dang man, could you post a photo of that beauty?

Winn's glove-bar thing is where it's at. It cured me of horrendous target panic almost instantly, but I get what you're saying with the questionable trigger. Never thought to let it breed another release.
Not sure how to post pictures anymore, but if you pm your cell # i will send you some pics.

I love the glove. If feels very natural to me and gives me great control of the shot and release.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use a Tru Ball Max Pro 4. It is a thumb release. Very quiet and I use it for hunting. You can just hang on the d loop if you want.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Carter Wise Choice 3 finger. Great release if you want a thumb style release. Worth the money for sure. Just can’t get used to a strap release anymore.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Scott Shark - cheap I know but I am very comfortable with it.

I've shot a thumb release once but my draw length seemed way off when a got to full draw. When I released i totally missed the target. It would def. be something for me to get used to.

I like the idea of being able to just clip it on my string while hunting and not have it around my wrist the whole time like the one I am using now. This is really beneficial when getting the last yardage check out of the range finder because mine now gets in the way.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Shot a Cobra for many years but just bought a T R U Ball Copperhead after trying it out. I really like the wrist straps. Down side is having it strapped on all the time but I can tell you for sure I would drop a thumb release the moment I got settled in my stand.

Reactions: tdd
1 - 20 of 22 Posts