The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandfather recently gave a 357 to my father. It was purchased in 1974. Does my father need to register the weapon? I'm thinking yes.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Your father doesn't have to do anything. The less paper trail a firearm has the better!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
There is no gun registration in PA. Some gun transfers must be approved via Criminal Background Check through the PSP. Transfers between grand parents and children or grand children or between spouse do not need to go through the PSP.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Pa-Plinker said:
Your father doesn't have to do anything. The less paper trail a firearm has the better!
Plinker is correct, there is no requirements between grandparent/ parent/ child/ spouse...any other handgun transfers need to go thru a FFL and be recorded

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
so if my uncle gave my grandma a 38 special then she gave it to my mom and my mom gave it to me no transfer is required, correct?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Although, technically Uncle Jimmy died, and Aunt Carol gave it to grandma (an inlaw) who gave it to mom who gave it to you. The question is, is a transfer required when Aunt Carol gave it to Grandma since they are mother-in-law/daughter-in-law.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
transfers are pretty inexpensive...25$ i believe?....its best to do it and not need to worry about it IMO...unless the gun is never leaving the house...if its going to be used or carried or taken anywhere, id get it done just to make life easy....if an officer ever runs it, it will come back to whoever actually currently owns it and theres no issue...

original owner could have a different last name than whoever is keeping it...that will raise an eyebrow if its ever ran and checked....

just my thoughts on it...i had mine transferred to me when i was 21 even though they were originally gifts from dad and legal without being transferred...i dont need pulled over 8 states away and have some troubles because my pistols came back to dad not me...

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I inherited my revolvers from my father. Both of them were purchased b/4 the current requirements so neither of them are in the PSP 'list' of purchased firearms. They won't show up if they are run.Of course one is 99yrs old and the other is over 70yrs old. If I would purchase a new handgun it would be in the 'list'...

Anyone moving into PA with a handgun purchased in a different state won't be in the 'list' either...

Why give them any info they don't need? The 'list' was found to be illegal by the Supream Court of PA as it is not a 'complete registry'...I wouldn't add one to it if it wasn't necessary.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I have something similar going on too.. my uncle died and all his stuff was left to his mother and she said I could have all his firearms one of which is a 9mm pistol. so legally for me to carry this gun all I need is a permit correct? there is no need for me to get it registered in my name?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
3D Hunter said:
I have something similar going on too.. my uncle died and all his stuff was left to his mother and she said I could have all his firearms one of which is a 9mm pistol. so legally for me to carry this gun all I need is a permit correct? there is no need for me to get it registered in my name?
Basically correct. Assuming you are over 21, you may apply for a License to Carry Firearms for concealed carry. There are also Sportsman's Permits for hunting use, and open carry which is lawful in PA with certain restrictions.

I suggest you read up on PA firearms laws or visit a website that can provide a lot of useful information such as: http://paopencarry.org/

·
Registered
355 Posts
One thing to remember is that the "giver" and the "reciever" of the firearm must both be PA residents. If one is not, it must be transfered thru FFL's.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand blood relative to blood relative, I guess I should have mentioned my grandfather is my dad's father in law, not his father. Same rules still apply?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Pa-Plinker said:
3D Hunter said:
Basically correct. Assuming you are over 21, you may apply for a License to Carry Firearms for concealed carry. There are also Sportsman's Permits for hunting use, and open carry which is lawful in PA with certain restrictions.

I suggest you read up on PA firearms laws or visit a website that can provide a lot of useful information such as: http://paopencarry.org/
thanks plinker

·
Registered
769 Posts
if I read your family tree chain of custody right I saw (in-something) in there. if that gun moved out of blood family members then just go do a transfer. it is worth the $35 to do it the safe way. I'm sure all the legal eagles will say "you need to do a transfer ever" but safe is better then right.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
so if I buy a hand gun off of someone I don't know, it DOES NOT need to be transferred, and I could still carry it to hunt, ect.. I just want to understand, not beating a dead horse

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
B292 said:
so if I buy a hand gun off of someone I don't know, it DOES NOT need to be transferred, and I could still carry it to hunt, ect.. I just want to understand, not beating a dead horse
No. You would need to go through an FFL and have it transferred.

·
Registered
769 Posts
B292 if you buy a handgun from anybone tha tis not a direct blood relative and you do not do a transfer at a gun shop you are:
1. breaking the law by doing an illegal transfer of a handgun
2. taking a huge risk that the gun was not stolen or used in a crime.

Pay the transfer fee now so you don't have to pay then lawyer fees later.

·
Registered
355 Posts
To further clarify the above post.....

The only handgun transfers that do not require an FFL are between parents/children, grandparent/grandchildren, husband/wife. All parties must be PA residents. Transfers between brothers/sisters still must go thru an FFL.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts