The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
? refinishing a stock inquiry

i have an old ithaca gun butt stock that my dog slightly chewed on the bottom corner.

i'd like to fill the chew marks with some kind of wood filler prior to refinishing it.

what kind of wood filler would you guys recommend?

thanks.

·
Registered
846 Posts
if the dog just dented, i.e. didn't rip pieces out of the wood, you can get the old finish off, wet the wood and use a heat gun to raise the dents

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If I had to use putty it would be Famowood. The putty is already pre colored. And holds a stain quite well. If it's just chew marks with nothing missing you use the heat gun or wet a towel and use an iron on the highest setting. It will raise the wood. Or leave the stock as is and it will have character. Every time you use it it will remind you of your dog. I have an old duck call from the 60's that my dog chewed the barrel down about 3 inches. I cut it down to make the end even and still use it today. Brings back great memories of a good dog.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Since you are going to refinish the stock you will sand it. Collect the sand dust and mix some white glue with some of the wood dust into a thick paste and fill the holes or dents with it. When iot dries it should be a close match to the color of the stock.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you are using a clear finish I have used clear epoxy as a fill, I find it less noticeable than using other fillers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts