The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons mission craze is just over 2 years old now and I am looking to get a new string and cables put on. No reason other than two years old and we shoot a lot.

Does anyone have any experience with reeve's in Washington county getting this type of work done? What brand strings do they carry or should I order vaportrail or 60x online and have them install them?

This is my first time getting new string so any advice is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
13,525 Posts
I purchased a bow there a few years back...no complains. However, I purchase strings and install them so I have not been back.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also what is a reasonable cost to put the new string on, hook the rest back up, put on new peep, and adjust to my son's drraw length string included?

·
Super Moderator
13,525 Posts
308 ruger said:
Also what is a reasonable cost to put the new string on, hook the rest back up, put on new peep, and adjust to my son's drraw length string included?
Doesn't sound like you are headed that way, but a ratchet bow press can be had for about $75, serving string and peeps are cheap. There are excellent instructions on U tube. Then for years to come you only have the cost of a new string. It is so easy a caveman can do it.......

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I would have 60x make one, but thats just my personal preference. You may be able to pick up a cheaper set from someone like Lancaster Archery Supply, have it shipped to you, and then have it installed by your local shop. They might charge you $5-10 to have it all done.

·
Super Moderator
13,525 Posts
shootbowtech said:
I would have 60x make one, but thats just my personal preference. You may be able to pick up a cheaper set from someone like Lancaster Archery Supply, have it shipped to you, and then have it installed by your local shop. They might charge you $5-10 to have it all done.
I followed shootbowtech's advise and installed the 60X string, cables some time ago and found it to be a very good.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Reeves carries Americas best strings and I think Vapor trails. If you need cables strings everything probably around $100 installed. Just string probably $40 installed. Small piece of mind to know it will be in time and square. They are the best in the area for that stuff,

·
Registered
13 Posts
I paid 100$ 2 yrs ago and I think it was only the string but I do remember it was a very good string . I forget the brand name but it was supposed to last a long time?! I'm a little ignorant of equipment issues so someone tell me, are you suppose to replace the cables too and if so every two years like the string?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Born2Hunt said:
shootbowtech said:
I followed shootbowtech's advise and installed the 60X string, cables some time ago and found it to be a very good.
8190 or 452x?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I was just at Brad's (60x) shop today. He built on a 30 x 40 addition, very nice, and he is quite busy. He picked up quite a bit of stuff at the ATA show.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
60x, i believe it was $85 shipped string and cables. Local shop installed and tuned for another $30. After a year of shooting, 3000 plus shots, i just had one turn put in to take out a little peep twist. Will be buying another set next year.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Born2Hunt said:
308 ruger said:
Doesn't sound like you are headed that way, but a ratchet bow press can be had for about $75, serving string and peeps are cheap. There are excellent instructions on U tube. Then for years to come you only have the cost of a new string. It is so easy a caveman can do it.......
Finally ordered my string, and based on your comment have been watching some videos on putting it on.

Any suggestion on which portable press to buy that you might have experience with?

Definitely looking forward to doing it myself as I do like to become self sufficient with my equipment.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
If you are going to get into all your own work, and work on family bows, I recommend getting a good press (Last Chance Archery EZ Green)that won't break the bank, a good bow vice (Apple- $65.00) a string level and an arrow level. You can basically set up just about everything given those tools. I did just that last year and believe me, it is money well spent just saving gas to go 35 miles to the nearest pro shop. The bigger plus is you begin to become a better archer because you understand your equipment.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Guru, I am going to invest in the EZ Green maybe next year, but with limited funds this year I picked up a Buckmaster portable press with limb adaptors. It works well for my Mission Endeavor, but it will not work on my Son's craze. I will have to either old off on his till I get a real press, or pay a shop to do it.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
308 ruger said:
Born2Hunt said:
308 ruger said:
Finally ordered my string, and based on your comment have been watching some videos on putting it on.

Any suggestion on which portable press to buy that you might have experience with?

Definitely looking forward to doing it myself as I do like to become self sufficient with my equipment.
Update, got the string put on using the bowmaster, and it was not too bad. Took me about an hour, but that was mostly me trying not to screw up the twists, etc.

With the beautiful weather this weekend actually got out to the club and put about 150 shots through it. As I didnt have a replacement kisser button was shooting with out it and am not sure whether I'm going to put one on again or not. Any thoughts??

Any way thanks Born2Hunt for the suggestion to do it myself! Now maybe next year a Bow Time Machine or EZ Green.....Hmm this may not be as cheap as I thought

·
Super Moderator
13,525 Posts
308: Glad things are working out for you. There is a certain amount of satisfaction in doing it yourself and you will save $$ over the years. You may find that your enjoy it enough that you will be helping out friends or getting them started on their own.

I haven't used a kisser button in a few years now, but still get good groups. Enjoy....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts