The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I be concerned about increased risk of ricochets by shooting a reduced load while shooting steel targets during a muzzleloader woods walk shoot?

Target are 30 to 50 yards. My reduced load would be 40 to 50 grains FFF with patched round ball out of a 50 cal. flintlock.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I've never had any concerns shooting steel targets, if they swing the idea is they hit and bounce down, no matter what the charge. Your driving the steel back like a pendulum, which creates a downward angle for the ball to go......

·
Registered
409 Posts
We did alot of woods walk shoots down here in Fayette co. yrs ago. Loved going to them, but seems like no one is interested or to busy now to have any

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where’s the woods walk shoot? I never knew they had stuff like this.
A lot of clubs advertise them as muzzleloader shoots. They are similar to 3D archery shoots except you are shooting a flintlock with patched round balls at mostly steel targets. Shaner gun club usually has a couple of shoots during late winter. I never shot at Clairton but they seem to have them once a month. Powder, Patch and Ball

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We did alot of woods walk shoots down here in Fayette co. yrs ago. Loved going to them, but seems like no one is interested or to busy now to have any
I enjoyed the ones I went to, but there weren't a lot of shooters at them. I hope they continue to have them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts