The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my season started off by tagging a nice buck the first week. As many know, I lost the meat unfortunately when the deer expired in a bad spot and was picked up by the PGC before my search in the morning. I was able to finally tag him with the help of a fellow HPA'er but could not salvage the meat which still bothers me.

Been hunting hard trying to fill a doe tag and put some meat in the freezer. Have seen alot of does but the good shot opportunity did not happen until tonight when it all came together.

Had a great morning with 1 buck, 5 does, 25 turkeys and a coyote at 30 yards that I never got turned around on. Had three does feeding to me but they never came the extra 10 yards I needed for a good shot. Headed to the same stand where I shot my buck at for the evening hunt and before I was even settled a 6 point came crashing through hounding 3 does. Saw a few more in the distance then in the failing light caught movement as two does were feeding my way.

Let them come to 15 yards and a soft grunt stopped the lead doe in my shooting lane. The Excalibur let loose, the doe kicked at the shot and ran 20 yards and stopped to look back over her shoulder. There she fell within 15 seconds. A well placed arrow did the job and I am always amazed how humane and effecient a broadhead can be. Complete pass through 2/3 up the near side and exiting at the knuckle on the off side.

Couldn't be happier with her and glad to put some long awaited meat in the freezer. Here is a pic.
Excalibur Vortex, G5 Striker, Gold Tip Laser II

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
Can't tell if that's a good sized doe or a large hunter...

Good job!

I'd of went for the big prize....the coyote!

·
Registered
19,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got three left.
Always save one for rifle and one for flintlock.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Congrats Gene!!!! Quick and clean, got to love it!!! CONGRATS enjoy the meat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts