The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a opportunity to get a Redbone Rescue. But I do not want to hunt with the dog, just have a nice yard for her and have her as a house pet. Redbones I have known, but not owned, in the past have been well behaved and great companions. Would I be doing the dog a diservice by having it as a house pet?

·
Registered
56 Posts
No I have a redbone and she is smarter than all getout I don't use her for hunting but with how good she is with chasing groundhogs and birds I should have trained her but the USMC had different plans for me but by the time I served my four years my mom had a spoiled redbone princess as a house pet the only thing I will tell you is there drive for chasing never goes away I wish you the best of luck with you redbone

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a 7 year old bluetick coon hound that will run & tree coons under any conditions. I live in town & she is kept in the house. She's a great dog overall but has been trying at times. She's pretty hard headed, intellegent, & food crazy. This combination can be frustrating to deal with, but she's never chewed anything & was very easy to house train. The only downside to being a hunting dog & staying in the house, is when you come home from a late night of hunting & she's covered in mud & stinks to high heaven. I have an unfinished basement where she stays until I can get her cleaned up. Luckily she's very short haired & cleans up pretty quick on her own. Good luck with the redbone. Just make sure to excersise the dog regularly, that will help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts