The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Mattysloane for the "in" on a red tag farm in southern Chester Co. Real nice place, had the chance to talk to the elderly gentleman that owns the farm on my way in yesterday. Very friendly and appreciative of our efforts. Anyway I got setup on the edge of one of the tree farm fields about 3:30pm.

Around 5:00 a lone doe had snuck in to about 15 yds behind my tree. Never heard her coming and it caught me off guard. Gun was still on the hook but she took her time walking behind me and the large tree I was in which gave me time to grab my gun. Fortunately instead of staying in the brush/thick stuff she worked her way around my location and headed for the corner of the field, just out of sight to the right in the 2nd picture. I waited till she hit a small clearing in the brush and hit her with the 12ga. She was slightly quartering, hit her mid rib cage on the left and exited right shoulder. She ran about 60 yds and piled up.

The red tag:

She tastes great:

Hope to hear of more success from Matty and the boys this Monday!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
mmaaaaan... that's WRONG... You got my mouth all watered up right now...... lol nice!

·
Registered
17,158 Posts
i've been to a red tag farm 4 times now, the field i am hunting is over 350 yards long and more than 200 yards wide

seen deer 3 times, 2 of those times they came out all the way down (its downhill 350 plus yards)and across the bottom.

the other time they came out behind us on top of the hill with out a safe backstop and houses in the distance.

next time i'm just gonna have to grin and bear it and head to the very bottom and across.

gonna be a long dry drag to the truck. might have to pick a little one, still gonna feel like it weighs 400 pounds by the time i'm done

·
Registered
645 Posts
I was so pumped for you when I got the pic text. Being that I sat that stand before and know the sceen, I lived that hunt with you as you explained it. Got me ready for tomorrow. You know that little driveway wants to kick butt on the way back up to the car after you put one down (or maybe just me cause I'm a big guy). You're right the LOs' couldn't be more appreciative, I just appreciate the opportunity that they give. The two positioned deer up top always give luck when you go into that bottom. I know that you enjoyed your meal tonight! I'll be in touch.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You heard how hard I was breathing when I was talking to you walking up that driveway! haha But it's a great walk knowing one is down and on the way to the freezer. You talk about apreciating the opportunity, that's exactly what I texted "the son" on my report text. "The father" was the nicest guy to talk to, we chatted for about 30 mins about the small business challenges that seem to get more complex every year, and life in general. Thanks to you I'm hunting deer in April, eating fresh tender loins, and meeting great people.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The pleasure is mine. Come out tomorrow and together we can push that thicker stuff for two new guest. BTW quuck fried backstrap with two sunnyside up eggs would be great in the morning lol.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Congrats!!! Maxx it's almost time for baseball, better get you days in the woods in now before your looking over a different kind of field in a few weeks? Congrats! Keystonepaul

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the many congrats...47 lbs of yield from the doe. She's already provided 2 meals and we'll be eating well and sharing with friends this summer!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keystonepaul said:
Congrats!!! Maxx it's almost time for baseball, better get you days in the woods in now before your looking over a different kind of field in a few weeks? Congrats! Keystonepaul
Hey Paul, funny you say that because last Wednesday evening I was sitting in the tree stand and besides the birds the only thing that broke the silence was the ping of the ball hitting the aluminum bat, the coach coaching, and the fans cheering at the nearby public ball field.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts