The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some red hooks for Texas and Carolina rigging, and some trebles to replace hooks on crank baits. I can't say for sure, but I don't seem to get as many bites on them. I have had two rods rigged with similar baits and get hits on the black hooks, but not nearly as many with the red ones. Am I nuts? Are the red hooks just a marketing ploy?

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Do some research on red line and hooks. There is a lot of info out there. This is just another gimmick to suck us in.

BTW those red hooks are pretty.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got an awesome deal onE-Bay on the red ones,so I thought "what the heck?" I think I paid $3 for 20 or so hooks,so I didnt lose anything. I always rig multiple rods with similiar rigs w/ slightly different colors until I figure out what the fish are gonna like that day. spent the morning catching smallish bass. I broke off the 6" junebug worm I was throwing and a red hook was closest at han, so I went back to the same setup, but with a red hook. Fish stopped biting like somebody turned a switch. That's the best example, but there were other days that nothing was biting until I put a black hook on.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And...it is a possibility that I just stink at fishing. Some days are like that.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
SS43 said:
And...it is a possibility that I just stink at fishing. Some days are like that.
Don't feel bad. Most of my days are like that too.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I've never noticed a difference, bass aren't typically line shy so a colored hook isn't going to do much other than boost your confidence. Now if you add alittle bucktail or feathers ..........

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've used both styles of EWG hooks.. One thing I noticed, black hook stay black, while the red paint chips on them after some time.. It actually gives some flash at times

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
lwrsusq said:
I've used both styles of EWG hooks.. One thing I noticed, black hook stay black, while the red paint chips on them after some time.. It actually gives some flash at times
Most of my red EWG hooks are now gold and red.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts