The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a full body mount of a red fox, nothing too exciting just standing on all fours with his head turned. Any ballpark figures of what I may be looking at price wise. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
habitat and open mouth will cost you a few more bucks. Look for someone that does predators a lot. The eyes make or break those mounts.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
GSPZeke said:
I am thinking about getting a full body mount of a red fox, nothing too exciting just standing on all fours with his head turned. Any ballpark figures of what I may be looking at price wise. Thanks.
This what you have in mind?

Pm me for a price quote. I won't put prices on a post because each piece is custom created based on your ideas. Habitats and wood work can add considerably to the cost. If you're just looking for cheap $385 will be hard for anyone to beat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow...that was shot against a very good and fellow Taxidermist, PaulC.

If by cheap you mean that he does outstanding work but doesn't charge an arm and leg like some others (and sometimes those others have inferior work).. I would go with cheap then too. BUT, always do your homework when choosing a Taxidermist.

This is one of Mr. Kuntz's mounts....for under $450

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Robby5A said:

If by cheap you mean that he does outstanding work but doesn't charge an arm and leg like some others (and sometimes those others have inferior work).. I would go with cheap then too. BUT, always do your homework when choosing a Taxidermist.

Beautiful mount!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Robby5A said:

It wasn't a shot at Randy at all. Sorry you took it that way. I don't know Randy and I've only seen pictures of his work so I would never intentionally take a "shot" at him. I WAS taking a shot at the $385 price tag! That IS cheap. When manikins cost upwards of $100 and eyes cost $20 per pair not to mention woodworking and habitat a $385 price tag does not leave much room for profit. Obviously Randy knows the qulaity of his work better than I and if Randy is happy with that meager profit margin and YOU are happy with that work that is great. However, it still stands that $385 is very cheap for a lifesize fox mount and THAT is what I was pointing out to the OP.

Good to see Randy has such devoted and loyal followers.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Robby5A said:

Looks like money well spent to me,awesome looking fox.I don't think "cheap' is the right word,seems his prices are very reasonable,especially for the quality of his work.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info, going to make some calls to setup some visits. I appreciate all your help. Thanks again.

·
Banned
649 Posts
cheap------------- maybe we could say low low prices ,might that sound better or low low profit margin

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
cheap, low, low low, call it what you want, I call it quality work at a FAIR price for all involved. Someone has to set the bar and Randy has done that in his area

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
JoeSimmons said:
To each his own, I chose not to work for McDonalds wages
Some day Randy may have 3 or 4 guys working for him because everyone has started taking their business to him.

I'd maybe at least check into getting an application with McD's.

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
I know one thing, if you would put that mount in the above pic in the woods and cover up the base with leaves I would be waiting for that thing to move, that is an awesome mount in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
KenBuck said:
JoeSimmons said:
To each his own, I chose not to work for McDonalds wages
Some day Randy may have 3 or 4 guys working for him because everyone has started taking their business to him.

I'd maybe at least check into getting an application with McD's.
He will likely raise his prices so he can pay his employees.

I wouldn't mind if Randy would come and chime in here and we could have a non flaming talk, he and the other taxidermists in here. A while back I almost posted about this at taxi-net where the discussion would have been VERY heated.

Business chat between taxidermists is ok, but please no " hey Randy, your momma eats raccoon feet" type stuff LOL. I know Paul C's wife teaches taxidermy business seminars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts