The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have caught a few red fox before both reds i caught were in the woods one in a swamp to be exact and the other in a coon set made without gloves and baited with sardines against a tree and ive never caught a coyote my question is can you catch fox and coyote in the woods against large objects like trees or was that rare i don't have much textbook farmland to trap but i have a lot of woods but ive always heard you trap reds and coyotes in fields and you cant have large objects as backings or near the trap because it spooks them and if you can trap a fair amount of fox and yote in the woods can you give some good features or locations to look for when setting these areas thanks!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I really have no fields either , I catch reds , greys and yotes in the woods , I tend to kneel down , put myself at the canines height and look for what sticks out . a rock , stick , bush ...... whatever it is , or an intersection in a trail . don't overthink , put the steel in the ground and move on

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
If you have any old skidder roads or trails in your woods put a dirthole or a urine post in the middle of the road and you should be on your way.If using a dirthloe I like a skunky lure in the hole like Gusto for yotes.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
caught many a yote on blackies shellfish bait in the v of a tree root !!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts