The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently traded for a single shot muzzleloader pistol with a Simmons brand red dot scope mounted on it. I never had a handgun with a scope before. I have no idea how it is supposed to work or even if it is legal for hunting in pa. When I look through the scope all I see is some glass lenses. Guy said the batteries are probably dead. I don't even know how to turn it on if it does turn off and on. Is it worth even messing with or should I take it off?

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
The scope probably takes the flat "watch" type batteries. There should be a cover to take off.

As far as taking it off or keeping it goes I would try it. I personally don't much care for a scoped handgun. Others wouldn't hunt with anything else.

One thing I noticed with a red dot type sight in a hand gun is that the dot seems to move around a lot if not on a good rest. Off hand will seem impossible.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
there are two small turrets one on the top and one on the righthand side, these are windage and elevation just like all scopes.

There is usually a third turet on the top, with numbers around the outside edge.0-11. these are for the red dot. "0" is OFF. 1 is small light and 11 is max light. The battery is a flat CR2032 like arrow said. It is under that third top turret. the top turret lid screws off, and the battery just pops out.
Batteries are cheap so I always keep a spare taped to the tube of the scope.

Try it you will like it, great for early morning and evening. I have them on my slug gun, x-bow and some pistols.

Red dot sighting devices come in two types. Most are 1x, meaning no magnification. in recent years there are now 2x and 3x. these seem to "dance" around for me. So all of mine are 1x.

Some models let you dial in different "dots" color etc. Simmons is not the top of the line and I doubt you will have this feature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts