The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a ruger blackhawk .44 mag and I'm looking to put a red dot scope on it. Any one else use a red dot and could give me your opinions on one that will stay zeroed and hold up to the recoil of the 44. Thanks

·
Registered
753 Posts
I tried a red dot (It came with my Sig 556 handgun..retail 200.00) on my S&W 44mag 629. I had to tighten the base screws after every shot. Removed it and used a Leupold handgun scope and never looked back. Make sure your red dot has a very good base. Doc in Pa.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm back on as Muzettehunter2, formerly just Muzettehunter. Anyhow, I put a Burris fastfire ii on my superredhawk. I zeroed the best I could at 25yds. So far about 150rds an no problems. I ordered the steel mount from optics planet!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ultradot is hard to beat for the price. I've had 3 over the years and they all worked flawlessly. Currently have a 30mm on super redhawk, It gives a little wider field of view than the 1". I even ran one for years mounted to a 10 gauge turkey gun shooting some of the heaviest loads available, without a problem.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Yes, I would second fjp110 & Muzettehunter2. I have not yet mounted any dot's on any of my 44s, but I have run both the original Tasco ProPoint Optima & the original Burris FastFire on a 45-70 Guide gun & a slug gun and they held up just fine. I tend to load that 45-70 HOT and since the guide gun is so light, recoil is severe. And we all know how slug guns kick. Both held up for years.

Its a matter of physics. These style of dot sights have very small mass and very little moving parts and as such are less torqued by recoil. The bigger the mass of the scope or sight, the more they want to stay still under recoil the more they stress the mounting system.

Another thing about the Ruger mounting system. I have a older (mid 90s) Redhawk with a traditional 2X Burris. I had issues with running the Ruger rings as they would loosen up over time. That gun also broke the original Leupold I had on it. I put on one of Weigand Combat's rail mount system with 3 Weigand rings, and the Burris has never moved a micro-millimeter in a decade!

This is the model of Weigand I used, but he now has other models for newer Rugers:

Weigand Mount rail

Also, keep in mind your intended target & range and pick the appropriate dot size. It's amazing how much of a white-tail an 8 moa dot will cover in just 40 yards!

Good luck and happy hunting!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the ultra dot in 30mm and now I'm having problems with finding ruger mounts in 30mm. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this one?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts