The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I am going to try hunting with a revolver this year. I just bought a new Ruger Single Six Convertible 5.5 inch barrel. and want to use it for small game. I was just wondering if you guys would put a red dot on it or just use the fully adjustible factory iron sights? I don't plan on shooting over 40 yards. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
my opinion is a scope makes a handgun unwieldy. sure it increases the range but i prefer irons for handguns. my eyes are not getting any better but as long as i can see the sites i will use irons for handgunning squirrel and deer. i carry a scoped rifle for long shots.

a single six is pretty small for a scope. if anything, try a red dot but even that makes it a different gun.

have you shot a pistol with a scope? it takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'd try the irons first, see how you do at the range at keep your shots within your effective range. I would say most people shoot better and farther with an optic, but more fun with just the irons, I think. Can always put a dot sight on later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I have a Gp100 with a red dot and a Raging Bull with a red dot. I shoot really well with them but was just wondering about this model. I may take the red dot off of my Raging Bull, as I dont shoot over 50 yards for deer and it just seems more convenient without it. I guess I was just curious about the smaller targets!!!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have a red dot on my single six. It works very well. You just have to find a holster for it.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I had a single six that I used it both ways. Scope made it slightly more accurate, but as Yzeater said, holstering it was a B. Ended up with a large frame scoped shoulder holster just to fit it. If I went back to it I'd stick with open sights.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I use irons on my .22 evolvers and am very skilled at punching holes in the air around the critters.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
A reflex sight will work, only weigh 2 ounces or so

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
BlackBruin said:
A reflex sight will work, only weigh 2 ounces or so
I use iron's too on my S&W M17. But if you want to put a red dot on, take BlackBruin's advice. Stick with a small reflex style sight as opposed to some of those honking traditional dot sights.

The main problem you will have is the size of the dot. Stay way from those 8 mill jobbers as they will completely blot out the head of squirrel at 40 yards. Try to find the smallest dot you can in the smallest sight you can. Most of the reflex style types, like Burris Fastfire, while small and very light (like 2.5 ounces) don't come in anything smaller than 3.5 mil.

Some of the bigger dot sights can come with 1 mil dots.

So it's a trade off.

I have a Burris FastFire on a 45-70 guide gun. Works like a charm, especially on moving deer. But that gun will shoot inside the 4 mil dot at 100 yards all day long. Which gives a rifle looney like me cause to ponder switching it for something else just because I want to be more accurate. Haven't yet.....................

1 - 13 of 13 Posts