The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have been helpful so far but I have some more noob questions. Recurve shooters do you shoot from the shelf with say Bear hair or feather rest? Or would a flipper rest be better to start on? I plan to shoot carbon with real feathers so I don't need a flipper rest. I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

If using the shelf with bear hair rest how do you make it repeatable? Does the arrow ride where the shelf and sideplate meet? Do you have to cant the bow with this style of rest?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
You make it repeatable with good form. I shoot from the shelf with my longbow. Good form and a lot of practice is all you need. As far as cantering your bow, do what feels good. Don't shoot set yardages either while your practicing. Throw a tennis ball or milk jug out in the yard and try to hit it. It's all about hand eye coordination. Good Luck!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I shoot off of the shelf but have heard that elevated rests make it much easier to tune the arrow to the bow. For a cheap and durable rest material, go to the craft store and buy industrial strength velcro. Use the soft side and throw the other side away.

You are not required to cant the bow when shooting off of the shelf. Your shooting style will determine if you cant or not. Canting is merely a way to get the bow out of your line of sight so that you can see the target better.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
My longbow is set up off the shelf, my recurve I have set up with a flipper rest. with the flipper I can get good flight with vanes which is useful sometimes.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help as usual guys.

Squirrel, what could one do with vanes that they could'nt do with feathers?

I shot a compound for many years until 5 or 6 years ago. I think my shoulder has recovered enough to shoot 45lbs. I'm thinking a stick on rest will help my accuracy some. I'm shooting 40lbs now off the shelf. I'm getting accuracy to 20 yards that would kill a deer. Just want to tighten my groups enough and build my confidence. Still keep my 20 yard max but I want to be confident.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I shoot both ways have a Bear kodiak set up for off the shelf and a Howatt hunter with a stick on rest, do think I get a little better accuracy with the stick on rest, but hardly noticeable, on the bear I put a toothpick under the rug rest even though the shelf is crowned think it gives just a tic more clearance which helps.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
broknaero said:
Squirrel, what could one do with vanes that they couldn't do with feathers?
I find even with powder on them, in rain feathers suck. So if it's raining hard it's nice to be able to use vanes. Plus vanes are cheaper than feathers and if you shoot a lot and build your own arrows so it can save some money using vanes. I prefer feathers for sure but its nice to have the option. To each his own

·
Registered
670 Posts
I am no expert, and I am just getting back into the recurve scene after almost 40 years. But if you want to shoot strictly instinctive , you're better shooting off the shelf. This puts your arrow closer to your hand, which helps with the hand to eye nexus.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I shoot instinctive and have no issue switching between my longbow and recurve. Really a stick on rest is nothing like rests on compounds; stick on rests are tight to the bow and can be mounted pretty low to the shelf. I think people think they don't "look" traditional so they don't like them. But guys have been using these simple rests since the Fred Bear days. Shoot what you like and have fun, that's what is important!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a stick-on rest on one of my ILF risers but the rest of my bows I shoot off the shelf. I put it on only because I had a few and I keep it on because the bow is tuned with it

·
Registered
872 Posts
Another vote for Velcro off the shelf.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've used the Bear hair, flipper rests, calf's hair and industrial velcro as rests. I prefer the calf's hair and velcro---either do a grweat job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts