The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a old Bear Kodiak Hunter that I plan on deer hunting with this year, its at 46lbs. I'm shooting Easton Legacy's 1916's, just have a few questions. What grain head would be better to shoot/hunt with for this set up? Is this a good choice of arrow to hunt with? Anyway's to quite down a recurve other than string dampners? Thanks.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
The proper arrow spine will go a long way to quiet the bow. As will using a dacron flemish twist string instead of the continuous loop. Beaver hair not only looks good as a string silencer, it works very well. 125 grs heads would be fine and are what a good deal of folks use, myself included. 2213's would probably shoot pretty well out of your bow too. I generally shoot cedar but have some aluminum I play around with in both my recurve and longbow. Someone posted this link here a few weeks back. It will help you get the spine right.

http://www.heilakka.com/stumiller/

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I looked behind the wall rest, and its at 44 lbs. My draw is 28.5 inches. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with Bob. 1916 with 125 grain heads will work very well with your Kodiak Hunter, and is plenty potent for whitetails.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Bob knows what he's talking about. Also, a good string will make a big difference in the noise. I'll make 4 or 5 strings before season and shoot every one of them in. Then I pick the most quiet for hunting. All 5 will be made at the same time, same material, same length, but there is always one that is the quietest. Let me know if you want a string made, JOHN

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I will let you know about the string, the bow is pretty loud. I added some whiskers which helped a ton, lot of guys say beaver fur works great.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
1916's with a 125 head are showing promise on my 40# recurve, but at a 29.5" length, so it should about work on your 6# heavier bow with a bit shorter draw length. Paper tuning with a bare shaft goes a long ways toward telling you what the arrow is actually doing, not just what you think you see in that micro-second of flight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't forget to tune it some by twisting the string a few turns and put it back on. Once you hit the right brace height you will know. It will shoot quieter and smoother. Also take off the string dampeners and pay attention to the bow noise (clanging) and vibration. Work those out with the string twist then put the silencers back on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts