The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been discussed before-which is better for hunting applications? Recurve or compound? Thanks

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
fishkrane said:
Compound, you will be able to draw back and hold it longer because of the let off.
I think he may be looking for a comparison of the two where crossbows are concerned.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i like both compound limbs are shorter easy to move around but if your string breaks u need a press to put a new one on recurve the limbs are longer but if u break a string u can easy put a new one on in minutes and keep hunting

·
Registered
970 Posts
I chose a recurve for simplicity, toughness, and the ability to change strings, etc... myself. I'm sure a compound can make a crossbow do what it does better, but not sure if I want the added complexity. However, if someone could show me a truely quiet compound I would buy it in a second.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Both are great for thier intended purpose. Each has it's own place. I like my recurve for those really long walks to the stand and my compound is for those closer the road. The recurve stands need to be more open than those where I use the compound.

·
Registered
18,422 Posts
Both have their positives and negatives as the others have stated. I prefer the simplicity of the Excalibur recurves.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have an excalibur and my buddy has a parker. I went with the excalibur for simple care. he went with the parker for compact-ness.. both are great... though he will have to have cabels replaced some day.... his parker shoots more accurate than the excalibur.... only about an inch better group at 30 yards... like them both... guess it depends on the ease of fixing a string or the compact-ness...

·
Banned
652 Posts
Excalibur the limb width has never made a difference in my Summit Viper treestand I have no experience on the ground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts