The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forums. I was looking to get into hunting with a crossbow. I would like to find an inexpensive one but not a cheap one. From what I have seen I'm looking at around $500 to get started. I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions. I do like the excaliburs- I found the axiom package for around $500. I have found the Phoenix with open sights for $519. I think I like the Phoenix more due to the aluminum, but I'd be looking more having to buy some bolts, quiver, cocking aid, I can live with the open sights and sometimes actually prefer them.
I have also come across a SA Sports Crusader Crossbow Package for about $400 and an Arrow Precision Inferno Wildfire II for about $450. Any opinions on these.
i will also be looking for a used one and checking out some local archery shops. Thanks for your opinions

·
Registered
222 Posts
Excalibur....Hands Down....I just got the new Matrix 380 and it is AWESOME...Expensive though....Gotta love the simplicity of Excalibur.

·
Registered
18,712 Posts
I would focus your attention on the Excalibur Axiom/Pheonix and also look at the TenPoint GT Flex. The TenPoint Flex comes as a package, including scope for $499 many places. The flex has a adjustable draw weight.

Both are solid recurve crossbows from companies with exceptional CS and warranties.

For $500 in recurves, your choices are limited. Those are what you want to look at.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would the ten point flex be better for turkey and small game with the adjustable draw? Has anyone used the acudraw 50, is worth the extra $120? I plan on hunting everything I can with it.

·
Registered
18,712 Posts
AIB said:
Would the ten point flex be better for turkey and small game with the adjustable draw? Has anyone used the acudraw 50, is worth the extra $120? I plan on hunting everything I can with it.
I much prefer the Accudraw50 over the Accudraw. But, if money is a consideration a cheap rope cocker works great.

I would keep the bow at one poundage just sso you don't have to keep changing your settings. The benefits of the adjustable draw would be for bowfishing or kids/women that may wish to use it as well. It will be much easier to cock.

If it is just for you, the Excaliburs may be a better choice but you may you will spend more to get them all set up.

Forum sponsor Arrowhead deals with both manufacturers. He will steer you in the right direction at a competitive price.

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
I agree with DPMS. Check them out the crossbows personally and please call Arrowhead, he will stear you in the right direction. Good luck and let us know what ya get and a report.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
dpms said:
AIB said:
I much prefer the Accudraw50 over the Accudraw. But, if money is a consideration a cheap rope cocker works great.

I would keep the bow at one poundage just sso you don't have to keep changing your settings. The benefits of the adjustable draw would be for bowfishing or kids/women that may wish to use it as well. It will be much easier to cock.

If it is just for you, the Excaliburs may be a better choice but you may you will spend more to get them all set up.

Forum sponsor Arrowhead deals with both manufacturers. He will steer you in the right direction at a competitive price.
Good advice and yes definitely check with Arrowhead. Unlike box stores, he allows you to do a "custom package" which results in you getting a better deal since you don't end up with stuff that you don't want. Sometimes he also has some used crossbows as well. One nice thing about Excalibur is you are still covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help. I've decided to go the Excalibur route. Sent Arrowhead a message and going to check out a couple local shops this week. I've also got a eye on a couple used ones on Ebay. Trying to go the used route first if nothing pops up I may settle on the Axiom package although I'd prefer an aluminum rail. Hopefully I have a nice bow by the end of the week. I'll post when I finally decide and get one. Thanks again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe I am the proud owner of a new Phoenix with the lite stuff package. Found it on ebay, display model, never fired for $550. Couldn't pass it up. Almost went for a used exocet 200, that I may of been able to get a little cheaper,but after some more reading I do believe I made a good decision and got a pretty good deal on a phoenix. I'll be sure to give an updated post once i get to shoot it. Thanks for everyone's help. Now just have to wait for it to get here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts