The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If one were looking to get a second hand recurve bow for hunting whitetail deer here in PA what makes would you look at and what poundage would you consider.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
For me...

Bear and Marlin make a very good production bow. I myself have a Martin Mamba that pull 55#. PSE also has some bows in their line-up. Can't go wrong with a Bear grizzley or kodiak hunter.

As for weight - anything 40# and up - paired with the right arrows will kill any whitetail deer in this state at archery distancs. probably 45# and 55# are the most common. If you are just starting out, be carefull not to over weight yourself becasue your shooting form will suffer. Just becasue you pull 65 or 70 lbs on your compound does not mean the same with a recurve.

good luck and have fun...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
the link above posted by outdoor dreamer is a good one,the guys name is steve smith,he makes all my flemish strings for my bows.here's some other places you may want to check out,stickbow.com,tradgang.com,archerytalk.com,craigslist and of course the big auction site ebay.now as far as bow recommendations,it really depends on what you like and how it feels in your hand and how it shoots for you,not everyone is the same.if you can shoot any bow before you decide to buy it.now back to your question,bear bows seem to work pretty good for alot of folks,damon howatts,ben pearson are pretty good and affordable,the list goes on and on,if you never shot a recurve don't overbow yourself,you'll end up getting frustrated,remember no let off with trad gear,stay in the 40-45# range or pick youself up a takedown bow and as you progress you can get heavier limbs for it.take a look at the samick line,yeah not made in the USA but are extrememly good bows for the money.good luck in your search.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks richbat, bow hunted some 25 years ago with a recurve. Have a bit of old time knowledge about the game but am a bit older and wiser now. I'm figureing 45-50 lbs. and no sight. Instinctive shooting is the plan...plus a lot of practice. Just looking for the right bow at the right price.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Muad Dib,

I don't know about the instinctive shooting. I still have my first recurve. A 45# and it still has the original sights that I installed on it....some, well let's just say a little over 30 years ago.

I just dusted it off the other day and was shooting it at 20 yards.

I will hunt with my compound, but that recurve makes me smile and brings back some fond memories!!!

Sw

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest with you Sethwood I'm not all to certain about instinctive shooting either after all these years, but that's how I used to shoot and seemed to do alright target shooting. We'll see, I'll find a bow and take stock of how I shoot out to 15-20 yds or so. Maybe sights will then be the order of the day.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
MD,

Well....if that's how you use to do it, then for you it will probably be like riding a bike. For me, I've always used some sort of sight. So....my instincts would be....go buy a sight!!!

Sw

1 - 9 of 9 Posts