The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems all the local news channels & newspapers in my area are advertising today as being first day to buy a hunting license PLUS they are ALL are mentioning the 3 Additional Sunday Hunting Days being allowed this year(Regular Deer, Bear & Archery).

I might be wrong but I expect a significant increase in hunting license sales this season. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Add in a ton of schools, colleges, and businesses planning to stick with "virtual" learning/work thru the end of the year, the stage is definitely set for the opportunity to see a big jump in sales...
Whether that gets offset (in full or in part, or possibly amplified?) by economic factors will remain to be seen.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I can see a lot more dog walkers, hikers and bicyclists on public lands like Evansburg.
Make sure of your target and what's beyond it...
And don't count on those folks to wear bright colors (especially florescent orange) when accessing those lands during hunting seasons.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Reading on other forums it sounds like the western hunting states are seeing a much higher number of applications. I think it was north carolina that had a large increase in spring turkey harvested. The biggest factor of people quitting hunting is lack of time, much of school sports are canceled or limited plus the price of meat rising, there is alot of reasons for hunting to increase.

·
Premium Member
23,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And don`t forget , with the pandemic and people being off work, they might be hunting more to help get more meat in the freezer.
Not too sure about that "meat in the freezer" thing contributing tp increased license sales. I've been out fishing at numerous lakes, rivers etc. and have seen less fisherman than ever before compared to other years this time of year. Also, have been out crabbing & saw zero crabbers. Same goes for some popular clamming beds I visit in VA....nobody.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I agree, it won't be a food thing. Food is still cheap (relatively speaking) and plentiful. But with people having more time on their hands, it wouldn't surprise me to see more people buying a license in PA, and across the Country.

Locally I'm seeing more people fishing. Perhaps the number of people fishing and crabbing at the shore is down due to the fact many who participate are vacationers and the number of people vacationing is down significantly.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I know one thing is for sure the PGC will e touting another record Harvest at the end of the 2021 season one way or another.
It has been a long time that the PGC claimed a record kill. All they said last year about the deer kill I believe was it was the largest buck kill in a while. But they did not claim any record kill.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Well, I don't know about Pennsylvania but I'm absolutely certain that Minnesota and Michigan are selling at least one more license this season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts