The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here's my issue. We have had midland radios for years, the first set we had was great until it crapped out. Everyone I hunt with at camp has midlands and since there originals crapped out, these stupid new ones are horrible.

I can stand next to my dad and someone will call us (for ex this just happened last day of rifle season) and the person came across his radio but not mine, then he replied back and then they came across my radio and not his. Also other people we sometimes just can't hear, and they will be within a mile of us without any terrain in the way.

Okay enough of ranting haha, I hear everyone say Motorola is the way to go. What do you guys use? Be specific on model of a particular brand please!! Thanks!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would like to know also. We tried new radios this year we got Midland LXT535 and they did not work for us and we were on fairly level ground. I would not recommend them.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Keep an eye on EBAY until you find the Motorola Talkabout T280 or T289...They are compact and made just a few years ago and you can talk clearly about 8 or 9 miles line of sight..With the leaves on the trees the ranges on all these radios are less..I have noticed the newer radios on the market do not have the range as good as the old ones..I do not know why..I bought a new pair of FRS/GMRS motorolas and have noticed this..Best to get an older pair...

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Motorola is the way to go........I have tried a lot of different ones, and finally broke down and bought a decent set of Motorola's (cost me around 80 dollars for a pair) but they work 100 times better than any of the other ones I have had.....

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
My talkabout 250s are still going strong. They are over 10 yrs old.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Will never think you went wrong with a Motorola. Have midland, cobra, and Motorola radios and when we go hunting we all fight over who gets the Motorola radios. They just seem to receive better, transmit further, and have long battery life. Just MHO.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I have the Motorola Talkabout MR350R FRS/GMRS and they are outstanding!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The Motorola Talkabout 250s are awesome, unfortunately Motorola's newer models are junk. Try to find some 250s in the classifieds or eBay. I've had a couple for 10 yrs. Bought a set of Motorola rechargeable camo ones last year and they didn't last a season before they quit working right. Returned them and got my money back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts