The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who would be a good boat mechanic in Northwest Pa?

I have a Johnson 50 hp motor and it just doesn't seem to be running right. I know very little about motors, so I want to take it to someone who will do a good job for me. I would rather pay a little more for great work than a little less for anything less than great work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
what is the motor doing that is preventing from "running right"? Maybe able to help without taking to the shop. Down time this time of the year would be close to a month if your lucky. May be a simple fix.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
It may be a little further than you like but Rich's outdoor world in Summersville is pretty good. It's not to far off of the Brookville exit on I-80.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Explain the symptoms alittle more those older 2 strokes are pretty simple to work with. 90% of the time is an issue with the carbs. Carb kits are 15 bucks and they are very easy to rebuild

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses I have gotten already.
When I am running it on the water, I can't get it up on plane. I would guess it is only going about 10-12 mph. It sounds like it is misfiring now. (I changed the plugs and cleaned the carb) Other than the misfiring it sounds pretty good, but isn't putting out the power to get going. The propeller doesn't look horrible, but does have a few small dings in it. It also seems like its smoking quite a bit.

That is everything I can think of right now. It would be awesome if I could get it fixed without taking it somewhere. I love learning about the motor, I just get nervous taking them apart. The mechanical gene was not passed to me lol

·
Registered
602 Posts
My 60 johnson did the same thing. Carbs needed rebuilt. You have to pull them completely apart to do it right. Only specialty tools you need are a jet screwdriver (you can grind a small flathead to work) and there is a little tool to set the float height but you can usually eyeball it. There is 2 small round metal pieces don't remember what they are called you have to drill a hole in and pry them out with a pick then when reinstalling the new ones a 3/8 extension works perfect as a punch to dimple them. Google Johnson/evinrude carb rebuild there's a bunch of things that will walk you through it.
Try seafoam first
Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner from harbor freight filled with degreaser does wonders on small engine carbs
Make sure all your fuel lines have been switched to ethanol resistant. Gas theese days slowly eats older fuel line and cloggs up your carb jets and leaves nasty residue in the bowl that's really hard to get out
Get a torch tip cleaner (by the welding stuff at lowes) works really good for cleaning out the tiny fuel passages

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Anything Johnson or Evinrude needs to go to Wiegel Brothers in Franklin.

These guys have been Evinrude/Johnson since about the time Ole Evinrude was a boy.

They are OUTSTANDING !! We tow our stuff 2+ hours to have them do our work.

814-437-2077

sorry, but commercial links are not permitted.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the input. I am not far from franklin. I will give them a call and see if they can work on that for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts