The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hunting with a ten year old Tenpoint Titan Extreme. Looking into purchasing a newer crossbow. They are so much smaller and lighter than the one I am currently using. Any recommendations on a good crossbow for a decent price? I may stick with the Titan because I like the one I have,but am curious as to other peoples experiences.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
My buddy just bought a new Titan for $400...on sale. I just bought my first crossbow. Did a lot of research and hands on, shooting, etc. My choice was the Tenpoint Eclipse RCX. Happy with my decision.

These are the bows I researched and shot.......Ravin R9......Tenpoint Turbo......Horton Vortec.....Excalibur Micro 335 & 355. All capable, quality bows that I would have been happy with. I chose the one that felt best to me.

The main issue I had with the Ravin R9 (390fps) is it is a "crank only" bow. The Tenpoint Eclipse is rated at 370fps with a 140# draw weight that is very easy to manually cock. (you can add a crank if needed) It felt well balanced and is quiet as crossbows go.

Shoot different bows and pick the one that fits YOU....just like a vertical bow. Happy shopping!

By the way. Do yourself a favor and call David at..... He is a wealth of knowledge and will give you unbiased opinions on "all things crossbows".

·
Registered
234 Posts
i have been shooting tenpoints for years and love them. have been shooting a venom for 4 years and am considering getting a carbon phantom rcx for next year. not sold on ravins yet. not keen on a few things including the crank only aspect. also the have their own special press to work on them . saw a few reviews of guys that werent too crazy about their scopes. for 2 grand that makes me leery.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Not bashing Ravin...I was not keen on the scope and the 5yr warranty. Tenpoint just felt better in my hands overall.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
demillo. take a look at the pictures of the Carbon express I just purchased in this thread.

·
Registered
525 Posts
For a compound--Tenpoint, and yes if you can afford it--look at a Ravin. In recurve--Excalibur. I like working on things myself so I went with a new Excalibur 380, to get away from the older wider limb recurves. I haven't had a single problem with it, and have taken multiple deer with it. Over all I cannot say anything bad about any of the newest flagship models from most of the bigger names in crossbows. Today's modern crossbows are literally tack driving machines. It's all in what you want. Honestly the sky is the limit. My recommendation is to buy the best that fits into your budget. There is no need to struggle financially, and wreck your budget. I would look at mid price range right up through higher end, and see if you can shoot some at a pro-shop. From there--find the one that you liked, and fits into your budget.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably around $600. I'd like something decent, but don't need the best.

Barnett's are very cheap, but I don't know about the quality. How about Horton? Weren't they recently purchased by Tenpoint?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Customer service is also a big thing to consider as well. Search thru this forum and you will find some manufacturers do not have good customer service. I have a 10 year old Parker Terminator. When I dropped cocked bow out of a stand the limbs cracked. Parker sent me new limbs free in 3 days, no questions asked. Local gun/archery shop says Parker is one of the better companies to deal with.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Horton was recently purchased by Ten Point. Kudu58 has a Horton Havoc for sale in the classifieds. Might be worth a look. I've not heard good things about Barnett and stayed away. DPMS is a dealer rep for at least a couple of crossbow manufacturers. He's a wealth of knowledge. I hope he chimes in here. I'm liking my Mission, but I don't think they have much that would be in your price range, at least for a new one.

·
Registered
18,575 Posts
DPMS is a dealer rep for at least a couple of crossbow manufacturers.
Just for the record, I do not represent or work for any dealers or crossbow manufacturers. I do write gear reviews for a magazine that focuses on crossbows and crossbow accessories. Because of that, I get the opportunity to shoot lots of different equipment.

He's a wealth of knowledge. .
Thank you for the kind words. I will put my thoughts in a new post.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Just for the record, I do not represent or work for any dealers or crossbow manufacturers. I do write gear reviews for a magazine that focuses on crossbows and crossbow accessories. Because of that, I get the opportunity to shoot lots of different equipment.

Thank you for the kind words. I will put my thoughts in a new post.
I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you do. Thanks for the clarification. That being said, I have appreciated all the help you've given me getting started when I switched to a crossbow. What magazine to write the gear reviews for? I'll be looking forward to hearing your recommendations. I'm torn between getting an inexpensive back-up for my current set up or upgrading and relegating my current set up to a back up.

·
Registered
18,575 Posts
Probably around $600. I'd like something decent, but don't need the best.
Tenpoint is a quality brand which you have experienced yourself. Noting wrong with picking up another Tenpoint but Tenpoint crossbows have gotten very expensive and all of them are above your price point.

Horton(the name only) was purchased by Tenpoint. The new Hortons are great crossbows. The only Horton at your price point is the Legend Ultralight. That bow is nice but doesn't offer much more than the bow you have now. I would caution you that there are old Horton models out there that were manufactured under the old Horton name. These bows are not warrantied by anybody and parts can be hard to come buy. I would stay away from them.

Wicked Ridge is something you may want to check out in late January. Rumors are that they will be bringing out a few new bows for 2018. Wicked Ridge is manufactured under the Tenpoint umbrella. I suspect the new bows will be at your price point.

Mission is a crossbow platform that I really enjoy shooting. Mission released a new model a few months ago and they will be phasing out there old platform slowly. I suspect that the old platform bows will start selling for way less than they do now as folks want the newest model. Keep on eye out for leftover MXB 360s and 320s. If you can find one just a bit over your price point, snatch it up.

Excalibur crossbows are bulletproof and simple. I own several. The trade off is they have very heavy draw weights and are slow compared to compound styles of similar draw weights. If you can pull a heavy draw, the Micro or Matrix models are what you want to look at but they are also over your price point.

Parker is making some nice crossbows within your price point. I have owned a Parker and it served me well. I think thier quality is a little sub par but their customer service has been good.

Stryker crossbows are made under the Bowtech brand. Great crossbows but over your price point.

Darton is an overlooked crossbow that I enjoy shooting and recommend. They are all above your price point.

Carbon Express has a few bows at your price point. I believe their quality is sub par as well.

Barnett's are all over the place. From very low cost to expensive. I own several and have good luck with them but their quality is sub par.

So the bottom line is at the $600 price point you will have to expect a little less refinement or save a few more dollars to buy a higher end model. Wait to see what Wicked Ridge comes out with and keep your eyes open for a Mission MXB360 or 320 if their prices begin to fall with these models being phased out. Look at Parker as well.

I hope that somewhere in all of the above gives you something to ponder moving forward.

·
Registered
18,575 Posts
I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you do. Thanks for the clarification.
No worries and no need to apologize. Just wanted to be transparent on what I do and do not do.

That being said, I have appreciated all the help you've given me getting started when I switched to a crossbow.
Your welcome. Glad you are enjoying it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Great tips dpms, thanks. I was looking at tenpoints at Dicks (just randomly the other day) and they sell their packages for 200$ less than tenpoint does (on their site). Between coupons, and maybe a sale, I think I could get a new model Titan SS for just over 600$ or a Tenpoint Renegade....although saving extra is always an option. Excalibur Matrix models are sold for 499$ at Dicks as well. If you could choose one model, would it be a Mission, Excalibur, or Tenpoint? How long can I realistically expect my current crossbow to last? I could sell it for a few bucks, but was also considering hanging on to it for my son. He is 9 and has been out with me many times in the field.

·
Registered
18,575 Posts
Great tips dpms, thanks. I was looking at tenpoints at Dicks (just randomly the other day) and they sell their packages for 200$ less than tenpoint does (on their site). Between coupons, and maybe a sale, I think I could get a new model Titan SS for just over 600$ or a Tenpoint Renegade....although saving extra is always an option.
The thing with the Titan and Renegade is both have the wider limb configurations than the newer Tenpoint platforms. If sacrificing some limb width for price is not a factor for you, than I would go with one of those since you already own a TenPoint and enjoy it.

Excalibur Matrix models are sold for 499$ at Dicks as well.
Yes. They have one model at your price point. Most of that bow will be a plastic composite. Also the draw weight is close to #200 pounds for very mediocre speed. But, it will be bulletproof and light up front.

If you could choose one model, would it be a Mission, Excalibur, or Tenpoint?
Tough question since all have advantages and disadvantages. I like the TenPoint Eclipse, Mission 360 or Sub-1, and Excalibur Micro 355. At your price point, I would take the Titan SS or wait to see if the Mission 360s come down in price.

How long can I realistically expect my current crossbow to last? I could sell it for a few bucks, but was also considering hanging on to it for my son. He is 9 and has been out with me many times in the field.
A long time. All that is needed is string and cable changes.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I for one would like to take the time to say thank you to DPMS for sharing his knowledge here. For those who get the opportunity to actually shoot, and test gear, and then have the heart to share their results, and expertise at such places as Hunting Pa. it means a lot to others including myself. To DPMS---thank you for sharing your input. It truly does mean a lot that you have a willingness to share your knowledge.

·
Registered
18,575 Posts
To DPMS---thank you for sharing your input. It truly does mean a lot that you have a willingness to share your knowledge.
Glad I can help. That is what this message board is for. My opinions are just that. Personal opinions. If they have helped some, I am pleased to hear it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts