The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is a good skinning knife for deer that doesnt break the bank and will hold an edge and sharpen easily? thanks

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I like the Outdoor Edge Razor-Blaze knife. The blades are replaceable and cheap. On sale at Cabelas right now for 34.99..I gave up on sharpening my hunting knives every time I skinned a deer. With this knife, you always have a new razor sharp blade.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Easy to sharpen and edge retention do not come together as I understand it. Harder steel holds and edge longer, and is harder to sharpen. May also be more brittle. Easy to sharpen usually means softer steel and looses an edge quicker. Edge geometry also factors in. I got the worksharp ken onion last year and it is the easiest way to get scary sharp knives I have ever seen. If you don't want to sharpen blades, get a havalon. Blades are cheap on Amazon as well. I will be adding one to my gear next year for an elk hunt. Carry one lightweight knife and some extra blades should be great for large skinning jobs.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
anything buck makes that is comfortable in your hand....

Reactions: JasonN

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I use a fish fillet knife for the whole deer....

Reactions: JasonN

·
Super Moderator
6,064 Posts
A few years ago I decided to go a totally different route....Havalon ( disposable scalpel blades ). I use it every thing...deer, small game, fubearers; I’ve even skinned a half dozen moose with them. I buy the 100 pack of blades on eBay, it’ll last a couple of years

·
Registered
697 Posts
When I was in the market for a dedicated skinning knife, I went to my local butcher supply store and bought one. Mine has around a 6" blade that has a round tip, no point. Made skinning much easier. This year I added a Havalon to my collection and will be packing it with me in a few days on an elk hunt. I hope I get to try it, and if I don't like it I'll have the one I know works for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,064 Posts
When I was in the market for a dedicated skinning knife, I went to my local butcher supply store and bought one. Mine has around a 6" blade that has a round tip, no point. Made skinning much easier. This year I added a Havalon to my collection and will be packing it with me in a few days on an elk hunt. I hope I get to try it, and if I don't like it I'll have the one I know works for me.
I hope you get to break in the Havalon. Have a great hunt!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Havalon you can get 100 #60 blade packs on Amazon for $25. I use one blade to skin a deer. I have both the Havalon and the Gerber Vital that take the surgical blades. I like the Gerber Vital better the blade replacements are much easier and safer.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Have a collection of fine knives but, the one that gets the most action is a $1.00 Frost cutlery folder. Put a good edge on it and don't worry about losing it in the field.

My Frost folder harvested and butchered 100+ Eastern turkeys and skinned I think 9 deer last year and has been for approximately 7 years. It also has been an everyday work knife. Many wouldn't be seen with such a low budget knife or have faith in it but, it suits me fine. A friend and I joked that they were disposable knives when he bought them. I also believe it may have saved my life at least once.

Many of my fine knives have been gifted by friends that have witnessed the Frost in action. They say now you will have a good knife for all the stuff you do. Lol Had 2 given to me this past spring gobbler season. They sure are pretty and sharp.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I use a fish fillet knife for the whole deer....
I use either a Buck 110 or Gerber Skin/Saw/Gut for gutting. Usually one of those two or my dad's Old Timer Skinner for skinning. I use nothing but a 6" fillet knife for the butchering. I haven't found a need for a different knife for that task after having used several specific boning knives and such. Mine's a Rapala, but the $3 Walmart fillet works just as well. They're cheap, stay sharp, sharpen easily and do the job perfectly.

·
Registered
22,041 Posts
for you guys using the havalon and similar style, what do you do with those blades when you change them in the field ?

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
for you guys using the havalon and similar style, what do you do with those blades when you change them in the field ?
I'm sure everyone will say they take them home to toss in the trash....to be PC about it. The reality is they likely chuck them away from where they're working or sit them down on a log or stump and forget to pick them up.

I don't use one. I would like to assume you don't need to change a blade in the field 99% of the time just like you don't need to sharpen a regular knife in the field. I don't understand what can be so hard on a blade that you need to sharpen or replace it in the field. Even for elk or moose 'they' all say have several knives or ability to sharpen them. I don't get it....I can gut AND skin about 6 deer before I even think of sharpening my blade and I know I can do many more before I HAVE TO sharpen it.

Reactions: bob1961

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
It depends on what you are doing in the field. If you are deboning and packing out an elk you are going to want a new blade more frequently than if you are gutting a deer. I use the Outdoor Edge Razor Lite, it works great for me.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts