The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a .243 or .270 for a youth. I am looking for a gun that doesn't kick much and light. I almost bought a Remington 770 Youth .243. I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend $300 for a gun that may kick more than my 30.06.

I am looking for information from people who actually shot the guns to verify it doesn't kick much. Thank you.

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
I have a Rem 700 ADL Youth Model in .243. It has very little kick. My son started shooting it when he was 6.

I have never tried it, but people swear by the managed recoil ammunition in the .270. It is supposed to have very little kick, but I cannot verify that.

If you were closer, I would let you try it for yourself. Maybe someone on here close to you could let you try one of theirs a couple of times to see for yourself.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
When I started I had a Remington Model 7 in .243 that didn't kick, I was around 6 or 7 when my dad got me that. Now I have a Savage model 16 youth in .243 that I use for groundhogs that doesn't kick at all either.

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
The other thing that I will add is that any .243 that I have shot hasn't kicked bad at all. I have shot a savage, several Remington models, Ruger, and Winchester and they all shot fine. I have only shot one youth model the rest were adult guns. Watch out for the single shots though. I know like the Rossi single shot .410 kicks like a mule. I have hunted for over 20 years and still use a .243 to hunt with. It is a very nice deer rifle.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Consider a short action bolt maybe in a 7-08 or .308.
Then get the gun ported to reduce recoil.
I have not tried the reduced recoil ammo but the ported guns in these mid size calibers barely kick at all.

My wife is 110 lbs soaking wet and shoots a .300 RSUM without a problem. It is her main rifle.
She has a .243 youth model 7 for a back up and that kicks more than the magnum.
The mag is loud but it is a pleasure to shoot.

Then he will have a gun to use for life.

Here she is with a nice buck she took.
It is nothing fancy, just a remington 700 BDL with the stock cut back a bit to fit her length of pull.
But the lack of kick has made her confidence soar to the point that she almost never misses anything with the gun.

John L

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Rabbit Runner said:
Consider a short action bolt maybe in a 7-08 or .308.
I bought my 11 year old son a Howa 2n1 in 7mm08 and he shoots it very well at the bench. Nice thing is it comes with a youth stock and an adult stock. That way he can grow with it. He hasnt complained about recoil at all and his groups are tight.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
For my brother's boys we bought Rem 7600's in 30-06 and then I handloaded the rounds to 30-30 level with 150 gr. Flat Pts. Doing the math and the weight of the rifles the recoil was less then a 243 Win. Plus the "30-30" reduced load with that bullet is a proven deer slayer. When older just up the load to 30-06 levels. Only need one rifle, simply adjust the load to the shooter. But...if you don't reload this is all out the window unless you buy the factory Remington Managed Recoil loads. Guess that's always an option.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
i got my sons the weatherby vanguards 2 in 1 7mm-08 which is about the same as the howa...they started shooting them at age 8 with the manage recoil loads with no problems.i say any cal. with the manage recoil loads would be fine

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bought a 770 in 243 for my 10 yr old last year he only weighs 85lbs. had no problems with recoil. Shoots good 100gr. powerpoints.300$ with scope.killed first deer with it.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I wouldn't start a kid out on a .270 unless it was with Remington's Managed Recoil ammo. It's commonly reported that the .270 and .308 are "soft kickers" compared to the .30-06 but my experiences have not borne that out. Oh sure, they kick less than an Aught-Six but not enough less to get excited over.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
No question, if you want your youth to develope into a good accurate shooter/hunter avoid the 270/30-06/308/7-08.

A 243 or a 250-3000 are best starters. (maybe the 260 rem)

Try to buy one that comes with an adullt extra stock then it will last for adult use.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
There isn't much difference between a 260 shooting 120 grainers and a 7mm-08 shooting the same weight bullet.

I would suggest a 243 or 257 Roberts. A 308, 260, or 7-08 would be fine as well. Most of these are the same case size and with bullets of approximately same weight will all recoil nearly the same.

If you are really worried, get the 243 and shoot 85 grainers from it.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
HighCountry66 said:
There isn't much difference between a 260 shooting 120 grainers and a 7mm-08 shooting the same weight bullet.
Exactly. There is zero difference in free recoil when the bullet weight, powder charge, MV and gun weight are the same. Caliber(bullet diameter) isn't part of the equation. In other words a 7-08 shooting a 150 grain bullet with 45grain of powder in a #8 gun will be identical to a 308 Win using a 150, same powder charge, at the same MV and gun weight.

A good app to compare two loadings... Recoil Calculator

"Felt" recoil is a product of stock profile, recoil pads, muzzle brakes, hold and etc. An ill fitting rifle will shake your choppers loose whereas a stock fitted in the same cartridge will be a pleasure to shoot.

Bill

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I started out with 16ga.shotgun guess about 11yrs. old just before I got to hunt. Then 30.30 shot some tin cans at about 25yds. dad said hold right under can, was a sight to behold. I'ed feel fine startin a kid with a .243 hardly any kick at all and it's a real gun can use it forever. Have Fun...later

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would recommend a youth model Remington Model Seven in 7mm-08. For a shotgun a Franchi AL48 youth model in 20 ga, almost no recoil. You will love both guns and may want to take them out yourself when its really cold and you have extra layers on making the youth models a perfect fit.

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
b&ghuntre said:
I started out with 16ga.shotgun guess about 11yrs. old just before I got to hunt. Then 30.30 shot some tin cans at about 25yds. dad said hold right under can, was a sight to behold. I'ed feel fine startin a kid with a .243 hardly any kick at all and it's a real gun can use it forever. Have Fun...later
I still hunt with a .243 20+ years after I started with one. It is amazing what that little gun will do. As with any gun you must have the proper bullet for what you are hunting, but it is a deadly caliber on deer size game. My Dad always said that was his biggest shock when we started hunting. He had never seen a .243 used until then. He couldn't believe the killing power of the gun. He always said if he ever got rid of his 30-06 that a .243 would be his choice for a deer rifle.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I had 2-.243's. 1 was a mod.70 heavy barrel for ghogs,2 was a sako for deer. I shot a few and didn't believe how well a .243 could do in a deer, some did back flips. Gun was a great action but stock to fancy for me. Did have fun with both, wish I had another built for chucks and yotes???...later

1 - 20 of 41 Posts