The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shave my head and need a very warm hat for late season. It must be blaze orange or (preferably) blaze camo. I had a cabelas Berber fleece beanie that I liked but lost it recently during a bear drive. It does not look like cabelas offers these any more. I'd appreciate any suggestions that you guys have.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
I`ve tried a bunch of them and settled on thin thinsulate models. Either in beanie or the kind that has the roll in the front then I can let it up and down a bit as needed. You can get them with thinsulate and gortex combo as well. That will be my next ones. It`s a win/win.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I just got myself a Stormy for flint season. Plan to get an orange one next year for rifle season, too.

One thing to help with warmth, if you can find them, I got a military surplus wool balaclava. We have a good surplus shop here near me. I paid $10 for it. It ROCKS. My daughter basically appropriated it from me for rifle season (should have bought two...new to this "hunting for two" business, rookie mistake! LOL), but she isn't a flintlock hunter...yet. So it's mine again for the late season!

It blows the doors off my fleece/polartec balaclava. Very warm, not as bulky, and very, very comfortable. I got a wool scarf from the same place (and at the same price), and combined, they keep me super warm. They don't do much for wind, however.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I'll second the Filson. I have one of those from years back when they made them in camo. I've actually had days in the blind where I'll look down and have water run out of the flap that had collected. Head was still dry and warm. If I can ever get out deer hunting more I'll be buying one of the orange hats for cold weather. I've gotten to the point that about all I wear is wool, and I'm slowly but surely buying everything I can afford in Filson.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Whiskey said:
3 Jaegers said:
Hard to beat a Stormy for warmth, guides all over teh west and Alaska swear by this hat. Comes in blaze orange.

http://www.stormykromer.com/products/the-original-stormy-kromer-cap.asp

Fits like a glove and very warm, even if wet
Really? The cotton lining makes me nervous about getting it wet. The dry clean only thing makes me nervous about scent control.
Well whiskey, no need to be nervous, the cotton is a liner, not like cotton long johns, keeps the head from itching as it's thick nap wool; as far a dry cleaning I've never done mine I wash it by hand in dead down wind and spray it with dead down wind just like any other hat. Just my 2 cents, but like I said Alaska, western state mountain guides swear by them and so do I. People who spend their time and living outdoors know what works, not to mention the hat has been around for over 100 yrs. Stuff that doesn't work doesn't last the test of time. Cabela's has a gore tex version on sale for $39. You asked a question and I responded with my experience. good luck with your search.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I wear my Kromer during the first Saturday of rifle during the steady rain. It weighed a ton after soaking up the water, but still kept my head warm and dry.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Hair challenged also. Layering works best for me.

This was my combo in rifle:
Blaze orange stretch bandana (walmart 1.99)
Orange camo ball cap
Orange knit cap - reversible orange / camo
Camo 3/4 stretch face cover (one that will go high enough to cover your ears)

If you get too warm, ditch a layer and hunt on. The orange combos kept my cranium legal and plenty warm all season. Seemed I always had one of three in my pocket except during a long cold sit.

Never understood why so many layer their body, but so few layer their noggin.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to drive out to cabelas to check things out in-person. The Filson is just a little too rich for my blood. Cabelas carries the Stormy Kromer so I can compare that side by side with whatever else they have.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The Under Armour beanies are INSANELY warm !!!!!!

Don't know if you can get 'em in blaze camo or not.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
You need one of these! Growing a big ole beard so the ice has somewhere to form helps as well! Nice and warm!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts