The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wondering if anyone has had experience with a ruger compact. if so what cals. my son is 7 1/2 yrs old about 70-75 lbs and wants to hunt. i have had him shooting a 410 for a little while and he handles it quite well. im thinking a 260 or 7mm-08 what do you guys think about these i want this to be a rifle he will use for years. i just like the bullet choices in these cals better than the 243. any help will be great thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would have your son work his way up to a deer-caliber rifle. For example, go from .22 to .22 mag to .223 to .243 to either the .260 or 7mm-08. Let him get used to each step up.

My son uses a 7mm-08 Youth Remington 700, but he didn't start using it until he was 12. I had a friend load up some 7mm-08 ammo with 100-grain bullets and less powder, which resulted in lower recoil than the normal 120- and 140-grain ammo you buy in stores. In general, the lighter the bullet, the lower the recoil. Remington also sells "Managed-Recoil" ammo for the .260 and 7mm-08, which is probably a good off-the-shelf choice.

Here is a table that compares recoil amongst calibers: http://www.accuratereloading.com/recoil.html

·
Registered
513 Posts
my 11 year old daughter is using a nef youth model shooting 95 gr ballistic tips. She's 60 lbs and handles it well. Not trying to change your mind in cals just as a thought. I use the same bullets in my own rifle and drops them in thier tracks.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The 260 is the better choice if you don't reload. The lighter bullets will kick less and still be superior to the 243; with the abiltiy to go to the 129 or 140 grains as he gets bigger and more experienced.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Everyone should own a 243. Why not have it now when he's young. It will kill deer and chucks.. He is young unlike the old days when 12 year old started hunting. Later on you can get him a 7mm08 etc etc..Worst thing to do is make a kid start to flinch.. Takes years to stop that bad habit...

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
For what it's worth I went from a 22 to a 30-06. Not the best choice at the time, but it didn't kill me. I shot a deer with that 30-06 when I was 12.

I understand the stepping stones, but come on now. Most people don't have that king of asinal.

One thing that must be remembered is that everyone is different. Some kids have no problems with 12 gauge shotguns and 30-06's. Others have problems with anything over a 410 or 223.

The biggest factor I have ever noticed the the report of the shot being fired. Hearing protection will make a bigger difference than say 308 vs 30-06. Take away the noise, and it's nothing more than a bump on the shoulder.

One last thing. Stop worrying about it. Telling your kid it's going to kick their arse will make them flinch knowing ole man told me it would. Instead of telling them it will kick harder, tell them to hold the stock tight, take aim and squeeze.

The first time I shot a high powered rifle was my uncles 30-06 when I was around 9-10 years old. He didn't tell me it would hurt me. Just told me to hold tight and squeeze. I didn't have any problems other than the scope bite I got because I didn't hold tight. He took a couple more shots to calm me down, and I haven't had a problem since I realized the bite was my fault.

I notice that many people go from a gun with near zero recoil to gun with a lot. That is where some problem may accure. I will say a 20 gauge shotgun is a good way to start out. Just enough to know there is recoil, but not enough to hurt you. Take him out for squirrels, and the rest will be history.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The .260 is a perfect choice. Low recoil, EXCELLENT performance, and your young fella wont have any reason to feel under gunned down the road a ways.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
The 260 is the better choice if you don't reload. The lighter bullets will kick less and still be superior to the 243; with the abiltiy to go to the 129 or 140 grains as he gets bigger and more experienced.
Actually, the 7mm-08 is a better choice if you don't reload, as ammo for it is more readily available than ammo for the 260.

You can't go wrong with either cartridge, honestly. I'd probably go for the 260 and load 120 grain Barnes TTSX's or 130 grain Nosler Accubonds and call it good.

However, a 243 loaded with 85 grain TSX's is probably better than either the 260 or 7mm-08 for a 7 year old.

·
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OHaraTree said:
The .260 is a perfect choice. Low recoil, EXCELLENT performance, and your young fella wont have any reason to feel under gunned down the road a ways.
thats what i was thinking

·
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys for all the info i got him the ruger compact 260 im picking it up in the next few days i hope to be posting pics in a couple months of the big one that didnt get away.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
great choice. let us know how it shoots.

I was at the range the other day and a fellow had his 12 year old daughter out. She was shooting a 243. Father liked my ultra light weight 260 KImber and I offered to let the kid shoot it. She loved it, and the lighter weight of the gun let her really control the rifle on her shoulder. she said it shot and kicked less than the 243. I think I made some $$$ problems for her dad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts