The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright heres something I thought of and this may sound stupid, but lets say you decide to bug in or out. If your in the woods or at home wouldn't it be nice to have some way to tell who's kinda on the up and up. May sound silly but if me and mine our moving through the woods lets say or were at our chosen place and we run into a man and his people both sides may be a little edgy given the lack of food, water, whatever. So it might give a little peice of mind if you could tell he was a like minded individual. What I'm trying to say is in war they have challenges like if I run into someone and I say thunder he better say lightning or I start shooting. Likewise it would be nice to have a way to identify such non family and friends that may be friendlies. Like if I'm dug in and one of you guys shows up hiking through with your family I may not want you to move in with me but we could be civil and share a smoke, a meal, and trade info. So how would we go about knowing that the other person is friendly. Or do you guys think you should just dig in and forget everyone else? Just wondering. I've run into a lot of good people on here and between us all we have alot of resources something bad happens it seems we could have our own hpa underground railroad going if you know what I mean. JMO.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Just yell "HPA!" and they will say "DOT COM!"

just sayin.

·
Registered
19,642 Posts
Posts like this makes me shake my head.
If we get to the point where we are hiding our families in caves or fox holes we have a lot more to worry about then the word of the day or knowing the secret handshake.
If it ever comes down to that civilization as we know it is over.

·
Registered
671 Posts
"If we get to the point where we are hiding our families in caves or fox holes we have a lot more to worry about then the word of the day or knowing the secret handshake.
If it ever comes down to that civilization as we know it is over."

Or just begining over?

How did the settlers of our great nation handel this same situation all those many years ago?
I dont remember reading anything in the history books stating that civilization in north america ended in the 16 century?

I do remember reading that our founding fathers had alliances with some of the native population tho, through barter, trade, and by helping to kill their newly found friends enemies. If I remember right, these kind of alliances is what helped start our civilization.

Great Question Buckhunter.

The replys on this subject should be very ineresting.

roland45

·
Registered
19,642 Posts
roland45 said:
Or just begining over?

How did the settlers of our great nation handel this same situation all those many years ago?
I dont remember reading anything in the history books stating that civilization in north america ended in the 16 century?

I do remember reading that our founding fathers had alliances with some of the native population tho, through barter, trade, and by helping to kill their newly found friends enemies. If I remember right, these kind of alliances is what helped start our civilization.

Great Question Buckhunter.

The replys on this subject should be very ineresting.

roland45
What you are saying is true but it was a lot different today then things were in the 16th century.
Back then nobody owned the land, except for the Indians, that the settlers were moving onto. Today you have property owners that would be defending what they own. Secondly, the military was not as big, technically advanced or so rapidly deployed. One AH-1 SeaCobra/SuperCobra could settle disgruntled pods of militia with the flick of a thumb, and move hundreds of miles away to deal with the next band. Counting on the military not to follow orders to shoot resistant’s is a foolish assumption. Remember a little thing called the Civil War, where brothers fought against brothers?
I can honestly say I have never had a conversation with anyone about how I would live if citizens tried to overthrow the government over taxes or trying to void our second amendment rights unless large amounts of alcohol were involved.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Birch812 said:
I can honestly say I have never had a conversation with anyone about how I would live if citizens tried to overthrow the government over taxes or trying to void our second amendment rights unless large amounts of alcohol were involved.
How many times have I told you not to bring that up! I still get strange looks for the regulars at Murphy's....

·
Registered
19,642 Posts

Go talk to the guys at the Tap House, they will take you out to see the RPG's and the Vladimirov KPV-14.5 heavy machine guns they brought at the gun show at Split Rock

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
All you can do really is to feel people out and trust your gut instinct. There will be no way to know who you can trust and who you can't in that scenario. If you seriously want ideas to survive this kind of scenario get the movie Defiance. Defiance

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
just being a Christian solves all those problems

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry to take up your time, wasn't really implying secret handshake, was just implying that in a bad situation like that sooner or later things would have to start over, or if it is a time when the government takes over and is rounding up guns or people if they don't comply, it would be nice to have friends, but it may very well be like frontier times and you play it as you go. Just speculation from a bored mind waiting for archery season.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
the answer is in the bible..the Holy Spirit will guide you to descern the good ones from the evil ones..

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
rebel said:
the answer is in the bible..the Holy Spirit will guide you to descern the good ones from the evil ones..

Good answer. Just making sure you weren't implying that Christians don't go through troubled times.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
moosehunter said:
rebel said:

Good answer. Just making sure you weren't implying that Christians don't go through troubled times.
In my own way, I'm a believer.
In my own way, right or wrong.
I don't talk too much about it.
It's something I keep workin' on.
I don't have too much to build on,
My faith has never been that strong.

There is a man there in that buildin'.
He's a holy man, they say.
He keeps talkin' about tomorrow,
While I keep strugglin' with today.
He preaches hellfire and brimstone,
And heaven seems so far away.

I do believe in a higher power.
One that loves us, one and all.
Not someone to solve my problems,
Or to catch me when I fall.

He gave us all a mind to think with.
And to know what's right or wrong.
He is that inner spirit,
That keeps us strong.

In my own way, I'm a believer.
But not in voices I can't hear.
I believe in a lovin' father.
One I never have to fear,
That I should live life at its fullest,
Just as long as I am here.

Mmm-mmm, mmm-mm.

·
Registered
958 Posts
when i was in uniform the 'running' password/challenge was scrotum/pliers. i.e. when running back into friendly lines we would say, "hold your scrotum..." and the reply might be " I'll get the pliers"...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Birch812 said:
Posts like this makes me shake my head.
If we get to the point where we are hiding our families in caves or fox holes we have a lot more to worry about then the word of the day or knowing the secret handshake.
If it ever comes down to that civilization as we know it is over.
No, IMO, this is an EXCELLENT thread..thanks buckhunter!

I watched a show on The History Channel a few weeks ago, called "After Armageddon", and it still has me a little shell shocked. It was based on what current scientists & sociologists predict the US would be like after the breakdown of our civilization and society (in the show it was the result of a flu epidemic that wiped out 3/4 of the population). Many of their theories were based on the events in Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina.

If their theories are correct, the first thing to go would be government services, followed by public utilities, the internet, fuel and food supplies, and then law & order. There would be mass exodus from the cities into the countryside, and food & water would become the new currency.
The family portrayed had a particularly rough go at it, a father, mother, & teenager, all spoiled yuppies leaving Los Angeles. What saved them was the fact that the father had been a paramedic, and knew a little about how to treat injuries, purify water, etc. Their new world was like a combination of "Survivor", "Mad Max", & "Waterworld". Eventually they found their way to a group of homesteaders, where they were assimilated into the community. The show ended 20 years after the fact, and society was still in ruins, the major point I took from this being that ALL of our current information is now online; with the end of the internet, came the demise of technology.

After seeing this show, it got me thinking what would I do? How would I survive? I still have a lot of questions, but I think I've come up with quite a few answers. Those of us who own guns (and know how to shoot them),build fire, build shelter will probably have the best shot at coming through this. Safety in numbers would probably be key. The folks in the show were basically in the desert, so it was tougher....seems to me we'd have most of what we needed here in states like PA, NY, or VA.

Obviously, we can't live our lives wating for the sky to fall Henny Penny...but they taught us in the Boy Scouts "Be Prepared". Secret handshake? No...I think it will come down to interrogating all strangers, that will determine how to deal with outsiders.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Human decency is early on the list of things to lose if/when it all goes to pot. Given that my current strategy is "go for the canned goods while everyone else is stealing beer and TVs" I'm more likely to want to hide out while the dust settles. So, if I don't know you, you're not on the level to me!

Although I can imagine someone standing in front of my house yelling "RABID GROUNDHOG!! RABID GROUNDHOG!"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts