The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please try to value the time spent outdoors with your friends and family. We so too often take for granted that things will always be as they currently are. Everything is for a limited amount of time and we have to remember to value the time we have.

I was very fortunate growing up with a Father who loved the outdoors and hunting and fishing in particular. He passed away on January 4th 2007 at the age of 84. The loss can not be put into words.

The thoughts and memories of him are constantly coming into my mind. Pop taking me squirrel hunting when I was barely old enough to hold a gun. The anticipation of the first day of small game hunting and walking the fields in pursuit of pheasants. Back then pheasants were still plentiful. The many years of going to our deer hunting cabin.

Pop was a great man and a terrific Father. I am forever thankful that I was fortunate enough to have all of the years that I did with him. He hunted and fished with me until he was 82 and his health started to fail him. I have a lifetime of memories and stories of our times together. The pain of losing him is unbearable at times but knowing that we had so many special times together reminds me of how fortunate I was.

Please stop every now and then in your busy and hectic day and think about what you have. Value all of your quality time spent outdoors. My times with my Father are but memories now but I had what many people never have the chance to experience. Don't let it pass by you and be sorry afterwards for what you may have missed.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Great post cmiles. My condolences on your loss. I dread the day I won't be able to share the woods with my dad. Thanks for the reminder not to take for granted the time that I have left with him.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
I envy you guys who got to share time in the field with your fathers. Mine thought hunting and fishing were a frivolous waste of time, and he died when I was young. I never got to know him when I was an adult and could appreciate him. Great post.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Yes sir that is one great post.

I am about as fortunate as i could be with the Dad and Pap I had and their love for the mountains...Pap is gone 10 years now, but Dad and I still bring him along on every trip in our minds.

I try to practice what is being preached here....hunting bonds like no other.

SOrry to hear of your Dad's passing...sounds like all of us lost a good guy to have down here on earth. Good post, make him proud.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
Mutt, like you my dad never hunted, he could never kill anything. However I'm fortunate that my son enjoys the outdoors, from camping and hiking to fishing, hunting, and shooting. His interests are the same as mine with hunting and fishing, but we still take time to get out together occasionally, along with trading stories, and me encouraging him to get out and do something, anyting he enjoys. Some day we wont be able to get out together, and I dont want him thinking he should have spent more time with me, instead, I want him to remember the good times we had with no regrets.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I know how it feels. My Dad Feb. 2, 2007 at the age of 85.

We were really close all our lives, just like it sounds you were.

My cousin said something to me recently that sticks in my head, and makes me feel good and makes me feel sad.

She said, "when you are as close as you two, and have what you had, it is so much harder to lose them."

I agree, and thank God he lived till 85.

My condolences to you. People say it gets easier, I haven't found that yet.

Ted Collins
Barnesville, PA

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TedC54

They keep saying it gets better or it get easier but I, like you, have not yet seen it get any easier. It really seems to me to be getting harder instead of easier.

That was one of my main reasons for my post. I was very fortunate in spending so much quality time with my Dad. I don't want anyone to miss the opportunity to have what I had then be sorry afterwards. Yes. I agree, that because we were so close it is probably making the loss much harder. I just keep telling myself how fortunate I was to have something so special for so long a time period. I have no regrets. We had what many people never have and we had it for a very very long time. The memories are priceless.

I made a memorial website in his honor and visiting that seems to help me during some of my low points. Please feel free to visit it. I do ask that people that did not know him refrain from posting anything there.I want to keep the posts to people that knew him personally.

Pops Memorial Site

Thanks for posting. It is somewhat comforting knowing that I am not alone in my search for learning to accept and deal with my loss. I keep telling myself that many people go through what I am going through and they all seem to make it fine. I am sure we will be fine. I don't believe that the pain ever leaves us. I just think we learn how to cope with it better as time goes on.

·
Administrator
30,493 Posts
This Memorial Day marks the 6th anniversery of my Dad's death. On that day we lost a great father, husband, and just plain good man. He taught us how to hunt and fish, but mostly how to truly appreciate why we love the outdoors. On the last day of muzzleloader season when I was a teen, I was lamenting about not getting a deer that year. Since then I have hunted by his reply. He said: "If you didn't enjoy the hunt because you didn't get a deer, then you shouldn't be hunting".
My condolences to those who recently lost their Father's. Wish I could say that the pain goes away, but in six years I still choke up at times. But I too have many great memories of hunting, fishing, camping, and pretty much anything outdoors with him to help ease the pain. Including picking mushrooms. I hate mushrooms!.... But he loved them.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
That is an incredible tribute and memorial. I can see why he will be so deeply missed. God Bless you and your family and thanks for sharing that with us...just unbelievable power in that site even to a person that did not know him.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Great stories and cherised memories are what the outdoors are all about. Sorry about your loss but agreed be thankful for the time we have. Memories my friends are forever and for that we should be greatful.

·
Registered
630 Posts
cmiles jr (please excuse my writing I am not good at it)but I to lost my hunting partner at a young age I was 17 when my Dad died suddenly on his 41st birthday. I have so many memories of hunting with him because that is all we did. in 1985 he bought a old trailer & a piece of property in shippensville in Clarion co. I was not old enough to hunt yet but loved to go there, when I was old enough to hunt. We
shared many memories together. My dad had a friend that hunted with us and he also brought his son in-laws to hunt too. That first year of hunting we did not get a deer but his friend's son in-law did shoot a nice six point. Hearing the stories at night was exciting enough. The second year we hunted on the first day of buck season(thats what it was called back then)we had several deer come in front of us early in the morning the one I saw was a buck. I told my dad I was going to shoot. Just as I was going to squeeze the trigger boom the gun went off and the deer went running and down it went. In all of my excitement I went running to the deer, but did not know that it was my dad that shot the deer and not me. As I ran to the deer my dad yelled "turn around there's more deer." As I turned around I say several other bucks and doe standing there, standing there in awe I did not get a shot. My dad felt so bad that he shot the deer I was going to shoot. When we got home and cut the antlers off he made a plaque that said our buck 1988. The next year we hunted we did not get a deer. My dad did not believe in doe hunting, he shot a doe when he first hunted with my Grandfather (my mothers dad) and said it was too easy they were everywhere. So the third year I got a doe tag and my dad bought me a used 308 Mouser, so we went doe hunting (only I had a gun) on the second day we were hunting on a hill on the game lands near our camp, My dad was looking up the hill so I looked to. I did not see anything so I turned around and saw two deer standing down the hill I shouldered my gun aimed and fired a complete miss but my dad was so excited that i got a shot. When my father passed I guess I was more in shock than anything. I could not believe it. My mother did not want me hunting alone at the camp (not that I was going to quit hunting, thats not want my dad would want me to do) so I went with my uncles and cousins(my mothers side of family my dads side did not hunt) They hunted in Corsica Pa on the border of Jefferson and Clarion. The second year I hunted with them I shot my first deer a button buck I was so happy but wished my dad was there.I did a little archery hunting around my house, my dad thought archery season was the best time to be in the woods. His first archery kill was a spike buck he shot with a recurve bow, that bow was my first bow. when my dad passed away I had no one to help me shoot the recurve so I started shooting a compound. my first archery kill was a five point, then I shot a six point still in velvet I thought if my dad could see this he would be so proud. My uncle that kind of helped take my dads place passed away with lung cancer a few years ago. We hunted out of my dad's camp in Shippensville and drove to Corsica to hunt (it was better than driving two hours from Monroeville PA) I just recently bought a camp in Corsica,I have had it almost a year. It is nice with running water & electricity ( my dad's camp did not have water or electric we had a propane stove to cook and a fireplace,lighting was with coleman lanterns)
Some times it does not seem the same with out them.I hunt alone now my wife's brother's son has been asking me about hunting but I don't think his Mother and Father want him to go. I have been wishing for something like this site. I am not one to set in front of a computer but when it is for hunting I can make exceptions. Because I don't have anyone to hunt with any more I often thought of making a personal add Wanted good person to hunt with I have two camps or go to yours. but I don't think it would work, people seem to not hunt any more or if they do they have hundreds of acres and don't let anyone hunt. Or they have big bucks on there property and don't want some stranger shooting their deer I have always though of hunting as a family sport because it was with me and my father but I think if he were alive today he would help someone less fortunate. So thank you for letting me vent a little if you read this any one else have similar story let me know It would be good to talk Angelo Giancola

·
Registered
630 Posts
cmiles jr (please excuse my writing I am not good at it)but I to lost my hunting partner at a young age I was 17 when my Dad died suddenly on his 41st birthday. I have so many memories of hunting with him because that is all we did. in 1985 he bought a old trailer & a piece of property in shippensville in Clarion co. I was not old enough to hunt yet but loved to go there, when I was old enough to hunt. We
shared many memories together. My dad had a friend that hunted with us and he also brought his son in-laws to hunt too. That first year of hunting we did not get a deer but his friend's son in-law did shoot a nice six point. Hearing the stories at night was exciting enough. The second year we hunted on the first day of buck season(thats what it was called back then)we had several deer come in front of us early in the morning the one I saw was a buck. I told my dad I was going to shoot. Just as I was going to squeeze the trigger boom the gun went off and the deer went running and down it went. In all of my excitement I went running to the deer, but did not know that it was my dad that shot the deer and not me. As I ran to the deer my dad yelled "turn around there's more deer." As I turned around I say several other bucks and doe standing there, standing there in awe I did not get a shot. My dad felt so bad that he shot the deer I was going to shoot. When we got home and cut the antlers off he made a plaque that said our buck 1988. The next year we hunted we did not get a deer. My dad did not believe in doe hunting, he shot a doe when he first hunted with my Grandfather (my mothers dad) and said it was too easy they were everywhere. So the third year I got a doe tag and my dad bought me a used 308 Mouser, so we went doe hunting (only I had a gun) on the second day we were hunting on a hill on the game lands near our camp, My dad was looking up the hill so I looked to. I did not see anything so I turned around and saw two deer standing down the hill I shouldered my gun aimed and fired a complete miss but my dad was so excited that i got a shot. When my father passed I guess I was more in shock than anything. I could not believe it. My mother did not want me hunting alone at the camp (not that I was going to quit hunting, thats not want my dad would want me to do) so I went with my uncles and cousins(my mothers side of family my dads side did not hunt) They hunted in Corsica Pa on the border of Jefferson and Clarion. The second year I hunted with them I shot my first deer a button buck I was so happy but wished my dad was there.I did a little archery hunting around my house, my dad thought archery season was the best time to be in the woods. His first archery kill was a spike buck he shot with a recurve bow, that bow was my first bow. when my dad passed away I had no one to help me shoot the recurve so I started shooting a compound. my first archery kill was a five point, then I shot a six point still in velvet I thought if my dad could see this he would be so proud. My uncle that kind of helped take my dads place passed away with lung cancer a few years ago. We hunted out of my dad's camp in Shippensville and drove to Corsica to hunt (it was better than driving two hours from Monroeville PA) I just recently bought a camp in Corsica,I have had it almost a year. It is nice with running water & electricity ( my dad's camp did not have water or electric we had a propane stove to cook and a fireplace,lighting was with coleman lanterns)
Some times it does not seem the same with out them.I hunt alone now my wife's brother's son has been asking me about hunting but I don't think his Mother and Father want him to go. I have been wishing for something like this site. I am not one to set in front of a computer but when it is for hunting I can make exceptions. Because I don't have anyone to hunt with any more I often thought of making a personal add Wanted good person to hunt with I have two camps or go to yours. but I don't think it would work, people seem to not hunt any more or if they do they have hundreds of acres and don't let anyone hunt. Or they have big bucks on there property and don't want some stranger shooting their deer I have always though of hunting as a family sport because it was with me and my father but I think if he were alive today he would help someone less fortunate. So thank you for letting me vent a little if you read this any one else have similar story let me know It would be good to talk Angelo Giancola

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The time of year to make life long memories is quickly coming. Take the extra minute or two this year to reflect on where and with whom you are. It is sad to say but it will not always be the same year after year. Things change and people pass on. Enjoy what you have and appreciate what you once had.
This will be a very hard hunting season for me but I know that in some way my Dad will still be with me. I will spend a lot of time sitting in the woods remembering all our times.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I am sorry to hear of all your losses. I sounds like they were all very influential in all your lives. I am very fortunate that I still have my Grandfather,Father and my son. We have four generations right now that hunt together. I never go through a day without thanking the Lord for my Grandfather and father taking me hunting and fishing. And now it is my turn to pass the torch. I did lose an Uncle this year who was a founding member of our hunting camp. You never rrealize how much these people influence things until they are gone. I miss him dearly and it will not be the same hunt without him

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With the holidays here again I wanted to move this up some so that the people that did not see it get a look at it and the ones that did see it are reminded of their "special" people in their lives and to let those people know just how special they are.

I have recieved numerous replies on here and in my personal mail box with words of encouragement. That just shows what my Father knew and few of us ever realize. The world is full of good people if we ever just stop and look around us and take the time to recognize the good in people.

I don't know why. but for some reason our intiial impression of people we do not know is usually not a favorable one. I guess it is just human nature brought on by so much negativity in the world. Somehow my Father always saw the good in a person immediately. I live my life reminding myself daily that his way was the right way and if we were all able to be like he was the world would be a much better place. He certainly knew what life was about and left a fine example for me to try to follow.

Thanks again everyone for the support. January 4th will be one year since his passing.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
Sir,

Thank You for the uplifting post about your Father. A gentle reminder to look for the good in all people. Your Father treated everyone as someone SPECIAL.

I know your heart is already heavy with the 4th of Jan. being right around the corner. I hope, the many fond memories of your Father, help to ease the burden.....

I'm sorry for your loss of your Father. Sometimes, just a smile and a few kind words can make all the difference in another person's day.........

Zumer

·
Registered
157 Posts
good post.
i lost my father when he was 57.
he taught me how to hunt, how to flyfish, how to be a husband and father. we worked and played together.
admittedly, i took much of that for granted...until he was gone.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well almost another year has passed and here we are with hunting season in full swing again. I cant't help but reflect on the wondeful memories my father left me. This was his special time of year and I have carried that feeling on. I have alway loved hunting and spent as much time as possible in the fields and woods. It is different now. I now feel closer to my Dad when I am hunting which makes me even more anxious to be doing it.
I am sure we all have those special people that have left or are going to leave their mark on our lives. Cherish the moment my friends. Enjoy the present time spent with friends and family,but most of all be grateful for the memories. Don't take anything for granted. We are all here for only a limitted amount of time so make the most of every opportunity.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.