The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been remiss about posting pics, so here are a few I've taken of the improvements we've made this year. Added a shed, gutters, cleared out brush, and finally got all the logs over to the woodpile.

The CEO and the old girl labs enjoying the 4th

·
Registered
25,981 Posts
All looking proper and spiffy!

Finally convinced my son that we need to mow/trim and get things in order upon arriving. Then we have more time to sit on the porch and enjoy the place, after the work is done.

Getting to the age where that sitting around stuff is important.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. My wife said she like the place the first day we saw it. Now she says she wants to stay there all the time. The dogs love it, too. We cleared a lot more brush back, but we are not going to plant any more grass than we have. It takes about 45 minutes of mowing right now, and I don't want to do more than that. I got a tow behind rough cut mower, so the rest of the cleared area we will mow with that once a year. Got a few projects left for this year- insulate the HW tank, insulate the water pipes, find more deer!

I had been looking for more that 10 years. Either the set up wasn't right, or the money wasn't there, or the location didn't work. Some are right, there are not a lot of deer where I bought this camp, but it's location puts it in a position where we can easily enjoy it all year. I stayed within my budget (barely), and now it's there for my son and daughter and their future families. I told them, it's not only a hunting camp, but a vacation spot, and the final destination for my ashes. That way I can keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Retiredusne8 said:
Nice place.
Just a suggestion on mowing,why not plant clover,it stays low and provides a food source,may bring some critters in.
Threw down some lime and no plow stuff last fall. Got some clover to grow, mostly rye grass left over this year. Now that I have the area cleared that gets some sun, I may just get a york rake and lime and put something in later in August or September. Definately going to wait until we get some more rain.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RonM said:
Is that a whole house generator in that photo of the cabin..
No, that's one of those plastic storage bins. We kept wood pellets in it last winter. Now we keep the grill in there- not bear proof, but may slow him down a bit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.