The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pictures you are seeing are of slate calls made for me by Ratherbehunting (Kevin). They far exceeded my expectations. I feel very fortunate to have them. Not only are they awesome in appearance but they sound terrific.

I had a gun for sale on here back in the late summer that Ratherbehunting was interested in buying. We came to somewhat of an impasse on the price of the gun. His offer was less than I wanted to sell for and my bottom line was more than he was willing to pay. I then remembered that I had seen a picture on here of a slate call that he had made. We made a deal that I would accept his offer if it were to include two of his custom made slate calls. We were both very content with that deal. The only stipulation was that he would not be making the calls until sometime over the winter. I was fine with that as he seemed like an honest person.

I wanted something unique so we went in search of a unique wood species to make the calls from. He came across a piece of Guayacan, also known as Brown Ebony, while on a cruise. It is a beautiful tropical wood know mostly for its hardness. I did not see it prior to agreeing to have one of my calls made from it. I was fine taking Kevin’s recommendation on it.

I was talking to very good old friend of mine about what to make my second call from. He is older and disabled but he used to make some beautiful pens on a lathe. He recommended White and Black Ebony. He went as far as purchasing a piece for me and sending it to me. I, in turn, sent it to Kevin. As it turned out the piece I sent was big enough to make two calls so I asked Kevin make me an additional call. He was more than accommodating and made all three calls for me.

I plan on posting a picture this spring of me and the gobbler that I shoot using one of these calls. Kevin is a great person to deal with and makes an awesome slate call. .

The pictures are as follows--

Guayacan Pot, Babingo Striker and Walnut Handle on the First Two--

Black and White Ebony Pot, Blood Wood Striker and Black and White Ebony Handle on the Second Two--

Black and White Ebony Pot, Purple Heart Striker and Black and White Ebony Handle on the last two

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Chuck,
I'm glad you like and appreciate the calls! That block of black and white ebony was an awesome piece of wood. Thanks to your friend from me too.

Best wishes this spring! Send me a pic of that gobbler.

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
Kevin, Congratulations on some great looking calls. I like them almost as well as the one you made for me. You should seriously consider starting a business with these things. I have no doubt they'd sell like hotcakes.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Those things look spectular, nice job!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The really amazing part of it all is the sound they put out. I have owned quite a few slate calls and none have had the sound that these do. These sound amazing. I am not sure if it is in the design of the striker or the design of the call or the species of the wood in each or possibly the combination of all three but he has something special in the sound of his calls.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Thanks guys for all the really nice compliments.

Turning calls is something I look forward to each year about this time. Also allows me to meet some really great people.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I just picked up a beautiful slate from Kevin last night. Very well made and great sounding call. Great attention to detail and very unique striker. Made by a real craftsman.

Thanks Kevin. (RatherBeHunting)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Awesome Calls man! Not trying to steal your thunder, but I haven't had a chance to show these off yet.

I was the best man in the wedding of a very close friend of mine, and he surprised me with multiple gifts. This was one of them...I'll have it forever. Scared to take the striker out hunting though!! I lose them, and turkey hunting gloves like it's my job..

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
fall gobbler said:
I just picked up a beautiful slate from Kevin last night. Very well made and great sounding call. Great attention to detail and very unique striker. Made by a real craftsman.

Thanks Kevin. (RatherBeHunting)
Tony,
It was my pleasure meeting you and your wife! We actually traded calls. Fall Gobbler makes a beautiful wingbone. I'm thinking I got the better end of our deal. I am really impressed with the call he made for me. A great guy and a real artisan! Can't wait to try her out! Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Drakes,
Sweet call! Real nice gift for a "best man". That's something you'll cherish for a lot of years. Best of luck when you take it out!

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I got a slate off Kevin as well. Really nice call that I plan to put to hard work this season.

I got an ash pot with bloodwood striker. It sounds very good, and is crafted top notch from top to bottom.

I highly recommend Kevin here (RatherBeHunting) for your slate call needs!

Thanks Kevin!

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
Scared to take the striker out hunting though!! I lose them,
After losing too many strikers I decided to use a duck call lanyard. Put a piece of scotch brite on there for easy access.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
RatherBeHunting said:
Drakes,
Sweet call! Real nice gift for a "best man". That's something you'll cherish for a lot of years. Best of luck when you take it out!
Thanks man Ill make sure to post success!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts