The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A neighbor came and "volunteered" to rebuild the mail box. It was starting to stand on its last legs and he was unprepared to add anything more than concrete at the base. I ended his foray when I mentioned wood. Wood for new "legs"
The old "legs" were indeed rotting. I keep some throwaway wood just for such an occasion. I had some 5/4" inch cut off boards a neighbor was throwing away after constructing a new wood deck. For me it was like finding "morels" in the woods. 5/4" pressure sensitive boards sure have their use. Like using them for legs on mail boxes, when new mail box posts can run up to $200.
Cut off the rotting wood, so I had a midget size post. Used the discarded wood for brand new legs, screwed into both sides of the shortened mail box post.
Now I have a "new" mail box, with "new legs" ,now tall enough for the mail carrier's truck delivery.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
He scabbed some 5/4 treated boards, borrowed from his neighbor, onto his old mail box post. Now he has a new mailbox post.

Reminds me of the time Red Green borrowed some pieces of his neighbors garden hose. Stiffened them up by pouring concrete into the tubes. Using duck tape at the joints, he fashioned himself out some nifty lawn chairs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts