The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new barrel for my Lyman Deerstalker can the old one be rebored for a.) smoothbore b.) .54 Caliber and if so does anybody know who actually does this? Thanks.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Let me know if you find someone please. I;ve asked this same question a coupe times over the past 2 years with no help. Good Luck.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
I would call Dixon's and ask Chuck or Greg if they know anyone who will "fresh" this barrel. It's a dying or dead art and you may be better off just buying a new one.

·
Banned
900 Posts
If anyone can tell me how and where to purchase a drop in, smooth bore barrel for a lefty Lyman GPR I would greatly appreciate it.

I know I can buy another gun. I just want a barrel for this one that I can shoot squirrels etc. with.

Sorry to hijack your thread Urban, I figured it's about the same topic though!!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
There are two barrelsmith that my be able to help you

Ed Rayl in West Va 304 364-8369

Bobby Hoyt in Fairfield,Pa. 717 642-6696

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Bobby Hoyt rebored and rifled an antique barrel for me. First rate job.

If you just want to bored to a smoothie, just about any local gun smith that has a lathe can do it. While it normally involves removing the breech plug and reinstalling. A machinist told me it can be done without even removing the breech plug. It requires drilling out the rifling and then reaming down to within 3/8 inch of the breech threads. I would not go more than perhaps 50 cal out to either 54 smooth or 28 ga, (55 cal) We think in terms of common calibers and gauges, but if the smith needs to order a reamer a standard SAE size may be cheaper to obtain 9/16 = .5625 and 17/32nds = .531.) If the smith already has a reamer, the costs may be less.

I have often thought a smith could make a fair business reboreing old factory muzzleloader barrels. But the cost and time involved run the expense up to just about a new barrel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts