The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a very early model 7600 in .270 that I planned to use for trading purposes, it's been shot very little with the very minor stock markings being from storage/moving guns around and it has never seen the woods. While I have never really liked the 7600's compared to the 760's, always felt 760's were "tighter" feeling, this particular gun feels extremely solid so much so that I am considering keeping it. However I have no need/desire for a .270 so that has me thinking reboring as the only caliber I have ever really wanted in a 760/7600 is .35 Whelen. We all know how hard they are to come by and how much they sell for when they do show up, so I have been thinking about this project for a little while now and have done my research and it is possible so now its just whether I want to do it or not and if its worth it or if I would be better going another route....your thoughts?

Has anyone ever had a gun rebored? I am thinking of using JES, they seem to be well respected and have plenty of info on their website plus the price is quite resonable on what I have found. Anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
They are the best there is for that, and its easy, you ship to them, they ship it back. We discussed this last week here, you can probably find the thread a few pages back. Its not too tough to find a 7600 Whelen rifle, its the carbine thats hard to find. I am sure if you wanted a stubby made out of it that JES can do that for you while its there.

·
Banned
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe the Logger said:
They are the best there is for that, and its easy, you ship to them, they ship it back. We discussed this last week here, you can probably find the thread a few pages back. Its not too tough to find a 7600 Whelen rifle, its the carbine thats hard to find. I am sure if you wanted a stubby made out of it that JES can do that for you while its there.
Thanx for the response and I tracked down the thread, lots of good info there! Also I was planning to have the barrel cut/recrowned to carbine length when I had it rebored, as reboring is already going to kill resale, not that I would be resaling after all this effort, so cutting/recrowning wont matter at all.

Ive honestly yet to see a 760/7600 in .35 whelen carbine or regular in person, seen a ton online but never at any gun shops.

Do you know what all would need to be done, I am guessing it wont be as simple as a $225 rebore or will it?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Insured shipping both ways, the rebore, cut and crown, Refinish to your choice of finish. You will have a few bucks in it. If you use a 270 or 06, they dont have to do much if anything to ge it to feed correctly. If you really want a whopper, you can go to 400 Whelen with JES, but you would have to purchase dies and handload for the rifle I bet you would not see another one of those in the woods!

·
Banned
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have to give them a call and see what they say, it looks like the price includes return shipping so I would atleast save a little cash there!

That 400 whelen looks crazy and I may just look into that some more, but I have wanted a .35 whelen for quite some time now and feel it would be the perfect compliment to my .45/70 come bear season!!!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
All of my 7600's in 35whelen are carbines! Just not factory! I would rather pay $45 for harts to make it than what's factory carbine going for. Boop's in mifflinburg had a 35 Whelen 7600 for around $600. Might be cheaper than getting a .270 retrofitted. If u sell the gun. There's always a couple whelens that turn up on here every year.

·
Banned
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BlackBruin said:
All of my 7600's in 35whelen are carbines! Just not factory! I would rather pay $45 for harts to make it than what's factory carbine going for. Boop's in mifflinburg had a 35 Whelen 7600 for around $600. Might be cheaper than getting a .270 retrofitted. If u sell the gun. There's always a couple whelens that turn up on here every year.
Believe me I would much rather sell/trade my .270 towards a .35 whelen carbine in very good condition, but I have yet to see one as I stated previously and if I do find one chances are it is going to be used much more than the 7600 I currently have. This gun is nearly mint and is synthetic stock, plus I already have the gun and traded away a gun I didn't need to get it so I am really not into it much thus far....$20 for price of FFL transfer. The way I am looking at it is if I send it away to be rebored/cut to carbine length I have a basicaly new 35 whelen carbine essentialy for the price of the "retrofitting". Which the more research I do it seems as if this is a much easier swap than I was initialy thinking, which means less GS time and therefore less $$$$ not saying less than it would be to buy the gun you listed above and have it cut down....but it would be EXACTLY what I wanted and unshot, as a whelen, by anyone but me!

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I'll recommend JES. He did a 30-30 to 444 Marlin 336 conversion for me a few years ago. Can't beat the price and he does good work. Give him a call and ask him about the chop/crown too....probably not going to cost much more if at all.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Just looked at their site and it says they commonly rebore the 760 to 35.

If you bore out the .270 to that .35. Will there be enough edge distance from the hole to outside of barrel. I know nothing on how to do this sort of thing and just asking a question from the mechanical designer point of view.

Also would your chamber and clip still be able to work with that sort of shell?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
YES, YES, and YES !. He does a totally safe conversion, and if you send him the entire gun, he test fires it.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
bowmike said:
Just looked at their site and it says they commonly rebore the 760 to 35.

If you bore out the .270 to that .35. Will there be enough edge distance from the hole to outside of barrel. I know nothing on how to do this sort of thing and just asking a question from the mechanical designer point of view.

Also would your chamber and clip still be able to work with that sort of shell?
the chamber is cut in the barrel.......so the boring would open up the throat of the chamber........

The 35 Whelen and 270 are both based off of a 30-06 case as are the 06, 280, and 25-06.......so the clip would still work, nothing needs done to the bolt/bolt face etc.....

A very easy conversion to do.....

·
Banned
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Joe the Logger said:
YES, YES, and YES !. He does a totally safe conversion, and if you send him the entire gun, he test fires it.
Buckshot1822the chamber is cut in the barrel.......so the boring would open up the throat of the chamber........ The 35 Whelen and 270 are both based off of a 30-06 case as are the 06 said:
Thank you guys for the info and responses, I do believe you just talked me into doing this conversion....I have wanted this gun for a very long time and for the way I hunt the synthetic stock is going to stay nicer longer.

Bowmike my clip actualy says on it "25.06 .30.06 SPRG. .270 Win. .35 Whelen .280 Rem." so this gun in all those calibers uses one standard clip and as these guy's have said it appears to be a much "simpler" process than one may think at first to rebore this gun from .270/30.06 to .35 Whelen. Now if I could just track down a 10 round magazine for less than $50!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
How about an original steel 7 round colyer clip ? Only $49 or interesting trades!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts