The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a used 7600 that has some light surface rust on the bottom of the receiver. What would be the best way to remove the rust? Would rebluing it after the rust is removed make it unnoticeable? What is a ballpark figure to have one reblued?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
If its light, no pits, you can remove it with 4 ought steel wool and cutting oil. Light strokes, don't scrub in one spot, and the bluing will not be affected.
If the rust is already below the surface, polish and reblue is the answer. That gun can be professionally reblued for $100 just about anywhere, but choose a well known shop.
Too heavy on the polishing wheel will cause unreversable swales in the metal.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe. I was hoping you would see this.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
That's an easy one, most of the damage is on the clip.
Try the 4/0 wool, wont hurt. You can buy a NOS clip for $29, I would not waste a lot of effort on it. Clean that old clip best you can and keep it for a spare, no deer will ever know it was rusty! LOL!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't know about that Joe. It looks like the whole side of the reciever is pitted and we can't see the other side. That looks like a gun that was kept in a soft case.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I only got the bottom pic, tonight I got the other.
There are guys who could clean it up, but I'm not the guy! LOL!

·
Registered
11,110 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
#2 Pencil will take off the rust, then use the 0000 steel wool/oil. Then keep a GOOD coat of grease/oil on the firearm at all times or it'll come back with a vengence.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Why even try to deal wth a rusty gun to try to prevent further rust when less than 200 bucks will have the bluing in near new condition.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts