The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Sako AV and noticed there is some pitting in the throat.

Chambered for 7mmRM 24" Douglas Barrel.

I want a caliber that is Factory, but uncommon.
Like 8mmRM, 7mmSTW, 338WM, 458win, and so on. I don't think its robust enough for the 458 Lott, but I could ask the smithy. Let me know your suggestions, maybe there's a belted mag out there that I don't know about

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Ever consider a rebore?

You could take that 7RM to a 338WM, for example without changing barrels. I had a 30-06 rebored to 35 Whelen with good results. This South Carolina buck didn't like the Whelen much....

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
If you wanted to go really odd-ball, you do do a 35 Newton or a 358 Norma Mag. Both are cool, but you'll be reloading on those. I think you can scrounge Norma brass for the 358, but the Newton would require you to form brass, which is kind of a pain.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Ken S. said:
I want a caliber that is Factory, but uncommon.
Like 8mmRM, 7mmSTW, 338WM, 458win, and so on. I don't think its robust enough for the 458 Lott...........
Not sure about the length of the Sako action and what it takes to accommodate longer rounds but..........

The 7-STW absolutely ROCKS !! You will NOT be disappointed.

The .375 Weatherby is one of the most unbelievable cartridges you will find. It's about as versatile as they come. 235 grain Speers for deer. 250-270 grain whatevers for bear, elk, moose...... 350 grain solids for ANYTHING that walks the earth. Shoots a 300 grain bullet with the same trajectory to 500 yards as an '06 shoots a 180.

The .470 Capstick has always interested me. I have a donor Model 70 action that will be a Capstick one day. 500-600 grain bullets for the big 5 and dinosaurs. .475 pistol bullets to play.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mauser06 said:
What do you plan to use the rifle for?? 500yd elk hunting? Run of the mill type PA deer hunting? Bear? Etc..
My Uncle has a hunt planned for him and I and he won't divulge any other info except that he's packing his big bore. I have a 45-70, no worries there. I just want a little bit more oomph.

Its planned for Next year and he said I'll need a passport.

·
Registered
340 Posts
you are absolutely right on the 7mm STW !! Mine is a sako and it shoots dime groups !!!! Fast and flat !!! Use Barnes Vortex in it or load 150 gr Barnes TSX.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Ken S. said:
I just want a little bit more oomph.
If "oomph" is what you're lookin' for.......... the .375 Weatherby should be right down your alley. It's got all the oomph you should ever need. Yet it's still quite shootable for most folks.

Cool thing about the .375 Bee is that you can load it full of .375 H&H rounds and shoot them if you want. You'll lose a couple hundred fps off of H&H velocities. But when you yank the bolt open, out comes a .375 Weatherby casing !! So you don't have to pay the premium for Weatherby mfg. brass if you don't want to.

My smith (in Indiana County) has a reamer that's just waiting to cut its 2nd chamber.
I can hook you up if you decide to go that route. Could also point you in the right direction with some reloading tips.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
358 STA (SHOOTING TIMES ALASKAN) 35 cal 8mm rem mag case
Straight. 8mag is pretty darn good too

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Strut10 said:
Ken S. said:
If "oomph" is what you're lookin' for.......... the .375 Weatherby should be right down your alley. It's got all the oomph you should ever need. Yet it's still quite shootable for most folks.

Cool thing about the .375 Bee is that you can load it full of .375 H&H rounds and shoot them if you want. You'll lose a couple hundred fps off of H&H velocities. But when you yank the bolt open, out comes a .375 Weatherby casing !! So you don't have to pay the premium for Weatherby mfg. brass if you don't want to.

My smith (in Indiana County) has a reamer that's just waiting to cut its 2nd chamber.
I can hook you up if you decide to go that route. Could also point you in the right direction with some reloading tips.
X2

Also uncommon.

Good luck, Tony

·
Banned
2,482 Posts
Look into the lazzeroni family. Warbird or titan.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Strut10 said:
Ken S. said:

A little Q&A on that. I would assume I'm barreling with a 375HH, ream to 375Wby, Use 375HH to form fire to 375Wby.

How do you neck size a double radius shoulder?

Will I have to ream the bolt face?

What's the integrity of stretching a long shoulder case (375HH) to a standard shouldered case (375Wby)?

Would the 375Wby be severely catasrophic on whitetails? (I don't want a softball size exit wound)

Approximate shot to cost ratio? (Will it break the bank to enjoy?)

Let me know. I did a little research on the 375Wby and liked what I read.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Ken S. said:
I would assume I'm barreling with a 375HH, ream to 375Wby, Use 375HH to form fire to 375Wby.

No. If you already have a .375 H&H chambered gun, it is a simple re-ream. In your case, just buy a .375" barrel and have the Weatherby reamer run into it.

How do you neck size a double radius shoulder?

Not sure if it's any different than anything else. I full length re-size.

Will I have to ream the bolt face?

Nope. Standard .532" magnum boltface same as your 7mm Rem.

What's the integrity of stretching a long shoulder case (375HH) to a standard shouldered case (375Wby)?

Obviously not that of the parent casing. But not significantly less than any other fireform. Fireforming H&H brass is a VERY common practice among .375 Bee shooters.

Would the 375Wby be severely catasrophic on whitetails? (I don't want a softball size exit wound)

No. You can easily load it down, if you wish, for whitetail. Also.....most .375 bullets are heavier jacketed and do not upset violently on thinner skinned critters.

Approximate shot to cost ratio? (Will it break the bank to enjoy?)

Your shot to cost ratio will depend on several variables. If you go with Norma-made Weatherby brass you're looking at about $2-$3/per. These are what I use. They are TOP NOTCH and will reload til the cows come home. If you fireform H&H brass you will have a lower initial outlay. But I do not know how many reloads you can expect. So I don't know what the cost analysis is on that. Bullets run from about 45 cents to $1.25 each with .$90-$1.00 being about average. Powder charges will run from the low 70's of grains to the mid 90's, again with upper 80's being about average.

Let me know. I did a little research on the 375Wby and liked what I read.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Another one you could look at would be the 9.3x64 Brenneke. A lot to like in that cartridge....bullet selection isn't what the 375's have, but when you're heaving that much lead, it isn't quite the issue it is with a 223 or such, lol.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Barrel from Douglas or Shillen?

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Ken S. said:
Barrel from Douglas or Shillen?
I would probably pick Kreiger, Lilja and Hart in that order.

Don't know if ANYBODY is making a BAD barrel theses days though. Kinda doubt it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts