The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear view-backup cameras

For you guys who bought and installed an aftermarket what did you buy and why, wired, wireless, brand, screen size, price and etc.

There seems to be a lot of pros and cons regardless of the brand,type and price. I'm looking for one primary to make hooking up one of the trailers easier.

Thoughts, ideas, experiences?

Bill

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Re: Rear view-backup cameras

dont remember brand but got it at pep boys ,wirless..simple hook up ,real clear tied it into the reverse pin on the 7 pin connector..bolted to the top holes of the plate...was on my dodge ...my tundra has one already there which is awesome

·
Registered
897 Posts

Same as buckinuts: plugs into my 7 pin connector and held in place with the license plate bolts.
Bought it from e trailer for around $129 with free shipping.
Makes backing up to the trailers a snap.
Definitely worth the money.
Am not very mechanically inclined but took about 30 minutes to install on my 2011 Ford Ranger.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts

Best thing about the factory one on my Chevy, is hooking the tailgate strap on the latch pin to let the gate about half open.

That points the camera which is mounted in the tailgate latch handle, right smack on the trailer hitch, so it's really handy to back up to the connection.

To be honest, other than glancing in the viewer screen right away when backing up to make sure there's nothing lurking close behind, I still rely on my mirrors.

·
Registered
669 Posts

I have a factory one in my '12 Ford f-150....HATE the darn thing.....all the beeping and such....wish I could turn it off for good....

·
Registered
19,611 Posts

I can turn the backup camera on my ford off. Think it was in the navigation tools program. Check your manual.
I like it has red,yellow and green hashmarks for distance and center pin guide is dead on for hooking up boat or flat trailer.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

LCLrutnut said:
I have a factory one in my '12 Ford f-150....HATE the darn thing.....all the beeping and such....wish I could turn it off for good....
A hammer would turn it off for good!

My buddy recently bought a '15 Chevy. His doesn't beep, swear, burp or fart. Maybe it can can be turned off?

I'm still looking, but at this point I'm 90% leaning toward the Hopkins Smart Hitch.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts

Wireless installation is easy.Wired you drill holes that may leak later on.You could also get a short if a wire rubs through the insulation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts