The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PH 20" 460S&W tube on the way..

Looking for a realtree composite PH forend for it to match my PH buttstock.

Trying to determine if such a thing exists and where to find.

Googled a bit, and see a few photos featuring PH katahdin rigs wearing realtree composite stock sets.

Can't seem to confirm what the part number of the forend is.

Read something that hinted that the 20" katahdin PH barrels differ from the original 18" katahdin fore-ends mounting wise.

Does the standard realtree PH composite forend fit the 20" khatahdin? from the descriptions of it i've read it indicates it only fits 24"+ barrels.

What is it about the katahdin tubes that preclude them from working with standard rifle or shotgun tubes? Is it the barrel mounting stud placement? OD of the big bore tubes?

Can anyone give me the T/C P/N for what i am looking for?

Or any other information on how the katahdin fore'ends work...

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Talking to myself...

Did some more looking around over at GBO, sounds like the standard 7571 flextech PH rifle fore-end does work with the new 20" PH katahdins.

I dont have a PH forend, but think i will try what i have when i get the tube and work from there.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
If you've got some spare time, register at encoreclassifieds.com and post your question there. You'll find out all you ever wanted to know, plus some!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Encore Katahdin PH 45-70

This thing is alot of fun.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Encore Katahdin PH 45-70

Wasn't too bad. 1-2" groups at 100 with 3 different factory loads i tried.

Have a few boxes of 250 and 325gr hornady leverevolution that i was hoping to make some brass out of, then found out that this brass is .100 shorter than standard brass...

The 3rd load i tried are remington 405gr. I was expecting them to thump the hardest, after shooting the lever 250 and 325s, but turns out they are trapdoor loads, so kinda disappointing.

Need to find some brass and work up some handloads.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the brass being shorter will matter. The casings index off of the rim of the cartridge, since there is no shoulder. I could be wrong though...

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks. I'm not sure i will continue with the eabco peep base. It seems to be the weakest link. After shooting about half a box, both the peep adjustment screws had loosened to the point of the sight being very loose.

I had tightened them when put everything together...

Leaning towards ditching the eabco and putting the warne base on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts