The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the first fork was fishable this weekend. The water temps were very low but I did get to make a few casts and fish for a little while.

My uncles camp is right on the first fork. It was extremely cold, so I decided I would fish right behind camp, so I could come right back into the 80 degree inside of camp temperature. Yes his wood burner works quite well.

We all were sitting on the deck enjoying a coffee, and talking about my gameplan, and how I was crazy for even going out. I told my uncle I was going to start at the riffle to try some Czech nymphing.

Just as I say that a large mink appears on the bank, and jumps in. He is in for a minute or so and comes back out, shakes off, and stares back at the water. He moves up a bit to the small brush pile and jumps back in. He comes back out with about an 18" Brownie and runs up the bank.

You gotta be kidding me!

Bite was very slow and no fish were landed. It was nice just to get out and not have to sit inside the camp. I am a bit ticked at the mink

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I was fishing below the dam, (George B Stevenson) a couple years ago and A mink was working along the opposite shore looking for a snack. I remember thinking it was odd he seemed to have no fear of me on the other side.

That must of been cool for you to catch that in action!

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Stinks that you didn't catch any, but the mink thing doesn't suprise me. I was helping stock a stream a few years ago and just tossed a bucket of fish in. I heard some rustling on the bank very close by and saw a mink take a big swan dive off the bank and right into the stream. It chased some around but I never saw if it caught any or not. Pretty cool to see though.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kudu58 said:
Stinks that you didn't catch any, but the mink thing doesn't suprise me. I was helping stock a stream a few years ago and just tossed a bucket of fish in. I heard some rustling on the bank very close by and saw a mink take a big swan dive off the bank and right into the stream. It chased some around but I never saw if it caught any or not. Pretty cool to see though.
I guess minks are also stock truck chasers. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts