The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question for guys who have either had replicas done or have actually done them (taxis). What is the cost comparison for a replica / skin mount? I have a couple of fish that I released but am looking to have replicas done....if the price is right? Just curious. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
replicas are salty, my stripper I got done a few years ago I wanted a replica but the price difference was enough for me to go with a skin mount!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
B292 said:
replicas are salty, my stripper I got done a few years ago I wanted a replica but the price difference was enough for me to go with a skin mount!
Does your wife mind you having a replica of a stripper?

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
gstiegeljr said:
B292 said:

lol. they get the spelling wrong every time

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
gstiegeljr said:
B292 said:
striper! its more like the lamp on a christmas story, with real stripper skin!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I personally prefer a skin mount, but there aren't many taxidermists that do them very well. If you find a taxi that's very good go for the skin mount but be prepared to pay for it.
The replicas are very nice if the taxi uses a quality plug and realistic fins. The great thing about replicas is that you never have to worry about rotting on you. I've seen some replicas done that I would have sworn were skin mounts.

Check out the fish in these pics. They are all replicas, and very good ones at that. Click on smaller pics to enlarge.

http://www.mikewalshtaxidermy.com/gallery.html

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
I particually like this one on KennyC's site...
My kids smallie

Thanks again Kenny for the peice of art, proud to have you as my family's "fish guy" and a sponsor of HPA.

Now if we could just get something so you can become our "deer guy" too

·
Registered
318 Posts
The cost comparison at my studio is the same.
I do many more replicas than skin mounts but most of the replicas I do are made from the clients fish(custom mold)rather than purchasing a fish blank from suppliers like most taxidermist do.

The one thing to consider with replicas is that while there are many,many replicas available to the taxidermist they are not all created equal and not all sizes are available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts