The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this question comes to me from another post I had in giving thought to purchasing a handgun for my wife for conceal carry/personal protection away from home.

I own 3 revolvers and 1 semi. The semi is in my vehicle - and i do NOT have a round chambered. My revolvers are all fully loaded. (OK, we do not have children in our house). how do you folks keep your handguns - accessible and ready to fire? accessible with round needing chambered? none of the above?

As for shotguns in the house, ready to go??

this isnt to stir criticism for any answer, i realize there are many variables in each home, with each owner, etc. Just more a case of curiousity....

Patrick

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold"> Fully loaded....No sense in wasted place...

No children in our house, either...</span>

·
Registered
397 Posts
What he said. one in the chamber and a full mag in all my guns chances are you will not have the time or muscle memory needed to rack one in under extreme pressure of an out of no where attack on your life. no kids in our house either

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Loaded next to my bed in a gun safe I can open n the dark.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ar - l&l - hangs on j hooks( screwed into box spring frame ) on my side along with our rottie. Our doberman sleeps on her side along with a few edged wall decorations.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I rotate several different carry guns, I mostly carry a 1911 cocked and locked.........

I have a Glock, cocked and locked in a bedside holster.........

We also do not have any children in the house........

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have 2 little ones in my home, 9 and 7 so I use a safe. I have my glock 27 in a safe, loaded with one in the chamber, which is in my closet 8' away. Like John S, I can open it in the dark in a second or two. I keep three things in that safe, my Glock 27 and a small but very bright tactical flashlight, and another flashight. My golden retriever sleeps in our bedroom and is the nicest dog, but i trained her to bark at anyone or anything that makes a noise inside or outside the house.

One thing about a flashlights and using your gun with one. Practice on the range with one, alot. And if you need to get your gun out at home (God forbid it really happens) don't go turning on all the lights. Its your home and you can probably walk around in the pitch dark, so use that to your advantage. Use the light only when needed to identify a threat. If there is an intruder and you slap a bright light in his face, you can identify him and if he needs to be dealt with by deadly force before he will get his bearing from being blinded. Try this at home a couple times with someone, let them light you up(don't use any guns for safety). This way you can understand what the intruder would be going through.

One more thing, if the intruder has a gun and you shoot(a coupel rounds or so), turn the light off after you shoot then move cause he would be shooting back at where the light was. The light you use should have an end cap activation button, the kind you can depress slightly to activate it or "click" on to turn it on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts