The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

ready now

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  blackpowder 
#1 ·
i'm ready all the time now:smile2: I have always had to borrow a friends chronograph, but not any more! I will be able to check out everything any time I shoot now.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
thanks Wind. I also got the cable to run in the window to hook up to my lap top, i'll see how that works out. going away tomorrow, but should be able to run some .32 balls through it on sunday.

#11 ·
That is to be expected, I've notice considerable differences in published data vs. actually field data over the years. If you can get another chrono. (or two is even better) from a buddy or two and compare the readings from the different machines using the same load, this will give you an idea of the degree of accuracy of your chrono.

The published data is collected from a gun that is different than yours and under different environmental conditions and therefore will not be identical.

#9 ·
I was at a gun club once and a guy a couple of benches down put a .308 round right through the brains of his new chrono..
One day a guy at the club blew out the guts of his brand spank'n new Pro with a 12ga slug. I don't know who but someone a few benches away quipped , "He should shoot two more for group". :)

Bill

#10 · (Edited)
Great pickup and great choice. I've had a Pro Chrono for years to chrono anything from crossbows, compound bows, modern guns and muzzleloaders, and never been unsatisfied. They work great. That said, if you use one indoors to check something like crossbow velocity, be sure the room does NOT have fluorescent lighting. The light cycle of a fluoro bulb will confuse the sensors and give bad readings. Same for other brands of optical chronographs.

#12 ·
I actually do have chronograph info for my other .32 from my friends chrony brand a couple years ago that match what I am getting (1776 fps.). 173 fps. in the flintlock world is quite a difference, I think. I will have to play with powder charges just to see what kind of load it would take to get up to their numbers. sounds like a good weekend project, more shooting :grin2:

#14 · (Edited)
book: .32 cal., 26" barrel, 1-66 twist. mine: 38" Douglas, twist unknown. new .32: 42" Rice, 1-48 twist.
YES!!!! I love shooting and playing with them! I am really fortunate that I can shoot anytime no matter what the weather is and just spend the whole day fooling around.

Reactions: Six-Gun
#15 ·
It would be interesting to shoot that load out of a 26" barrel over your chrono. and see what the results are. I wonder if the ball is reaching maximum velocity while still several inches inside the barrel and the last several inches of barrel are slowing it down a bit. A larger charge may indeed help.

#16 · (Edited)
I have a new/never fired crockett here, but really hate to shoot it ( I would rather sell it). in the "real world", it really doesn't matter. the gain for trajectory ect. isn't much of a difference, very minimal. more of a "why" thing I guess?

#19 ·
Just a thought, but could be that it's a new barrel.

The 50 cal Colerain barrel I used last year had some pretty good machining left in the bore. They "wore" out by the time I got up around 100 rounds.

#21 ·
I have over 100 rounds through it already. my guess is that it would take another 20 grains of powder to get to what the book says, if not more. I will know this weekend!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.