The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I am re-working my plots, the clover was disseminated by over browse during a drought summer before last. I didn't have time last Summer so they became grass lands. I have sprayed and plan to plant this fall (after spraying another time or two.

I have preconceived ideas of what I plan to plant (wheat / rye and clover) however a slow day in the office had me looking at a few web sites (this one stood out http://www.hancockseed.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=239_297&gclid=CL3ss6ab46ECFUVB5godvF8QLg ).

On a different site I saw Birdsfoot Trefoil a plant I had forgotten all about. Is anyone here using it? What do you have to say about it?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Trefoil can be difficult to establish, but once it is, it lasts forever. With high deer numbers, I've seen them eat it, but I would not say it's "preferred".

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I have some areas with Birdsfoot Trefoil that I keep mowed to about 6 inches high.
There is clover mixed in. The deer browse in it and the turkeys like it too. I think the turkeys are after the grasshoppers that seem to "hang out there."

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Do you actually see where the trefoil is nipped off?

Have a friend in berks County that had tons of deer back 10 years ago. He had trefoil mixed in with his one field, yet I never saw one time where it was nipped off. The multiflora rose around his field was heavily browsed to about 4 ft, yet the trefoil went uneaten. Very bitter when you chew that trefoil. Can't say how multiflora tastes.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I have a ton of trefoil in my reclaimed strip mines and they do eat it but it's not preferred. The nice thing about trefoil is that it grows well during the dry summer months unlike clover. It has a deep root system similar to afalfa.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Dutch said:
Do you actually see where the trefoil is nipped off?
What I see is the deer browse in these areas. Could it be the clover or grass that is mixed in the trefoil? Could be.
I know rabbits will also eat trefoil.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I once sat over a farm field in May watching deer. Two spikers came out about 30 yds from me and fed in the clover/alflafa field. I'm sitting there watching them and soon realized, they were only eating dandelion flowers. Watched them with binocs and one after the other, flowers went in their mouths.

Not saying thats all they were eating, but they sure keyed in on them. Had I just sat there watching deer feed, and not watched what they were feeding on, I'd have just assumed they were eating clover/alfalfa.

Also realized then just how preferential they are when they feed.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The well sites on my Dad's property are planted with a mixture of trefoil and tall fescue. The deer seem to feed in the well sites a fair amount and I assumed they were feeding on the trefoil instead of the grass. The gas company did some work and reseeded some areas with a clover grass mixture. The deer walked through the trefoil to feed on the clover.

The trefoil does seem to grow better in the summer but comes up about a month later and wilts away about a month sooner than clover.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I like using trefoil in my apple orchards and roads,where I don't plan on replanting.And a lite spraying of round up does'nt kill it when you are trying to eliminate some weed prblems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts