The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right forum but it seemed to fit here the best.

have an antelope trip planned for early october in wyoming (flying out). My brother in law lives in fort collins colorado which is about a 1.5 hr drive from where we will be hunting. My plan was to de-bone pack and freeze the meat and leave it at his home in a chest freezer until he makes a trip back to the area (PA) to visit his family. Which will be around the end of october. Then once home have it made into burger and sausage. I could get it butchered out there, but i doubt he will have enough room to bring all the meat home, since there are three of us going out and can shoot two antelope each. (Assuming we have success)

So my question is.... Is it OK to freeze the meat, thaw it out once home and get it made into sausage and burger, or is this something that should be done before the first time the meat is froze.

Thank you in advance for the replies and any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Dingo

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Do not freeze it then thaw it out to process it, that is asking for problems.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Freeze it and process after you get home. There is tons of butcher shops that freeze customer meats and wait to process after the season rush.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I've done this numerous times without any problems and my family has done it for the better part of 50 years. Actually, I've found that grinding meat that is partially frozen works best in the grinder. This is also the way all the deer were done at the slaughter house that I used to help out at.

I always take my meat to be ground back to my dad's place in PA each year since he has a large 1+ hp Toledo grinder which only takes a few minutes to process 100 lbs or so. I freeze it after cutting it up and then wait until after I'm done hunting in PA to cut it up all at once.

My advice would be to contact the person you are going to have make the sausage and burger to see if they have any gripes with it.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Not saying that you will always have a problem, but a buddy of mine used to do this and it caught up to him and his wife and kids. They ended up getting pretty sick and it turned out to be from the meat.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
letumgrow said:
Freeze it and process after you get home. There is tons of butcher shops that freeze customer meats and wait to process after the season rush.
If done properly...shouldnt be a problem Key is ...freeze asap to avoid bacteria start.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Ive been refreezing meat for years, Ive never had it affect the taste or have I or anyone else that ate it ever gotten sick. As with any meat you need to cook it right to kill all the bacteria.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
agreed.. i quarter my deer and freeze it.. pull out a quarter at a time.. select cut it and then freeze it again..

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
You can refreeze red meat as often as you like,the ice crystals will actually tenderize the meat.(as it thaws).
Just don't refreeze birds or hamburger.
If someone got sick after eating refrozen meat,it was from refreezing the meat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts