The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70's vintage Wingmaster 12 ga. It has a plain barrel 30" full choke on it.

I would like to put a 28" mod on it and I understand that maybe not all 870 barrles will work.
Does anyone have any idea as to what barrels will work?
Thanks....Bob

·
Registered
454 Posts
I believe any 870 barrel will work as long as it is chambered the same as what your origional barrel is.

For example your gun should be a 2 3/4 and 3" gun. This means that you wouldnt want to try and put the "super mag" barrel on it that is chambered for up to a 3 1/2" shell. Im not sure if the barrels will even inter change between the two, but the recievers are made different because of the higher preassures of the 3 1/2" shells.

Im sure someone more knowlegable will come along and chime in, but i believe the info i gave you is correct.

·
Registered
955 Posts
If the gun is made for 2.75 inch shells use only a barrel made for the same, the ejection port on the receiver is made for specific size shells, there's a chance it may feed 3 inch or even 3.5 shells but when it comes to ejecting them, you're going to have to take the barrel off to get the fired shell out.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Original gun is for 2 3/4 and 3 inchers. I would only be interested in running 2 3/4 small game loads through it. With that said, I guess I can look for a barrel for either 2/34 or 3 shells.

Thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts